The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Medicare messing with Movember > Comments

Medicare messing with Movember : Comments

By John Mikkelsen, published 30/11/2023

But I'm told I have to fill out a form and return it, or call a listed number. That seems easier.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Yes, our universal free medical care gets more expensive by the day. And a joke which sees millionaires in the queue for "free Medical care".

The load on the public health system would be greatly relieved if health care was means tested. Meaning those who can afford insurance will need to get insured.

This in turn would mean a much, much bigger cohort of the insured and more funds in the pool. And more folks able to afford private medical care.

This in turn would lessen the burden on the public health system. And a win, win all round.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 30 November 2023 8:49:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeas AlanB but in the services mentioned in the article, health insurance doesn't apply at all. We have it but in many cases one usually has to be admitted to hospital for it to apply. Meanwhile, check the new rules for PSA tests - saying "it's complicated" is putting it mildly.
Posted by Mikko2, Thursday, 30 November 2023 9:14:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A situation that will only worsen with Australia morphing itself into a Sardine tin.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 30 November 2023 9:20:12 AM
Working Australians pay approx. 2% of taxable income as a Medicare levy. The medicare system needs a review and more inspectors to check on those individuals and chain/franchise services rorting the system.
Posted by Francesca, Thursday, 30 November 2023 10:02:08 AM
Living in a rural area can be challenging, especially when it comes to receiving medical care beyond the basics.

However, one positive aspect is that most rural doctors here hail from exotic parts of the world, such as Egypt, Iran, Kenya, and other places.

In my experience, they tend to be more compassionate and attentive compared to the doctors I had while living in Brisbane.

It makes me appreciate the dedication and care they provide to their patients, despite the limited resources available in rural areas.
Posted by Aspley, Thursday, 30 November 2023 2:57:29 PM
Maybe I should have included this link showing prostate cancer rates overtake breast cancer https://www.pcfa.org.au/news-media/news/prostate-cancer-overtakes-breast-cancer-as-australia-s-most-common-cancer/.
"Prostate cancer is now the most common cancer diagnosed in Australia, overtaking breast cancer as the country’s leading cause of cancer.
Data just released by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare estimates 24,217 Australian men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer this year, compared to 20,640 women diagnosed with breast cancer.

The forecast is a 34 per cent increase on previous year.[1] Australia’s peak body for prostate cancer has described the news as a wake-up call.

Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia Chairman, Adjunct A/Professor Steve Callister, said the data provided further justification for an urgent review of the nation’s Clinical Guidelines for PSA Testing...."

That was in July last year and obviously fell on deaf ears.

These new PSA test rules from Nov 1 have pretty much flown under the radar but imagine the outcry if they started charging women for mammograms, or told them "maybe you will be charged ... it's complicated." Hopefully they never will!
Posted by Mikko2, Saturday, 2 December 2023 10:51:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy