The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The 1983 Queensland Coalition split: a tale of opportunism, hubris and miscalculation > Comments

The 1983 Queensland Coalition split: a tale of opportunism, hubris and miscalculation : Comments

By Scott Prasser, published 25/10/2023

40 years on the impacts of the October 22 1983 Queensland State election continue to reverberate today.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Maybe. But it all starts with the selection of candidates. Not enough quality can-do candidates, able to put aside party politics, naked ambition and just focus on doing the best for those he/she represents.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 25 October 2023 10:27:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The typical guff about old Joh.

Like many others I was aching to see the Libs take charge, & out old Joh. I got my wish, unfortunately.

I have since witnessed not a single government since Joh govern anywhere near as well, or as economically as he did for more than a decade.

In the words of Joni Mitchel, Don't it always seem to go. That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 25 October 2023 11:51:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was president of an inner city branch of the Liberal Party when all these shenanigans took place.

It was my opinion at the time that it was an enormous ego trip by the 'Ginger Group" that would cast the Liberals into a political wasteland.

Which it did.

As a result, I resigned from the Liberals and dropped out of being a member of any political party up to the present day.

It was a spectacular own goal brought about by personal ambitions.
Posted by Aspley, Wednesday, 25 October 2023 12:55:58 PM
The Bible Bashing Bastard, Joh Bjelke-Petersen was the most corrupt political leader of the time, his government was permeated by a bunch of corrupt criminals, including Russ Hinze and others. These grubs like Robin Askin in NSW before them, were paid off by criminals with cash in brown paper bags!

Having said that, I wont be disappointed should the people decide to dump Annastacia Palaszczuk and her government next October, been there long enough, with the LNP's David Crisafulli taking over. What we don't want is another 'Hard Boiled' Newman in control, what a disaster that bloke was. Crisafulli walks the walk, and talks the talk, but the acid test will come when he's in government. I fully expect the LNP will win next time.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 26 October 2023 7:18:52 AM
Bringing up Joh is an extremely poor attempt to divert attention from the Voce disaster.
Joh was a damn good Premier at a time when the Goaf deciples were gnawing the hands that fed these parasites.
It was a time of stupidity reigning supreme & we're now struggling with the legacy of these idealist mutts via their just as insipid offspring !
Posted by Indyvidual, Saturday, 28 October 2023 4:49:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy