The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Too much merit or not enough? > Comments

Too much merit or not enough? : Comments

By Steven Schwartz, published 30/10/2023

No one admires unearned advancement. Luck may give some people unique talents, but even Mozart had to practise. Such hard work deserves reward.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The disregard for merit and the everyone-wins-a-prize-particularly-if-you-belong-to-some-minority is 99% of the reason for Western society being as stuffed as it is.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 30 October 2023 7:05:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have always been in favour of merit however, merit is a two-edged sword. To successfully satisfy greed is not the same as satisfying need.
In my thinking, an ideal society should be a symbiosis in which literally everyone pulls their weight to the satisfaction or generally acceptable to society.
However, as many unfortunate are hindered either physically or mentally it would require the acceptance that some people will invariably always be better off than other. We really must abandon the token merit of education & race. Education must be available to anyone who can master the entry level requirements. For too long now we have been plagued by the nonsensical notion that 'everyone should be allowed to go to University'. We have a 1000% proof failure rate of that idiocy. A Gap Year Service or National Service would suffice to establish the potential of every person & give an indicator of their merit for their intended or suggested career. People are entitled to do what they desire to do with their ability or talent or aptitude but are definitely not entitled to be a burden to others because of what they "want' !
Also, an equal Tax rate is without question a vital requirement for a better functioning society !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 30 October 2023 7:51:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The world owes nobody a living and the harder you work the luckier you become.
Posted by ateday, Monday, 30 October 2023 8:27:47 AM
the harder you work the luckier you become
ateday,
Generally yes but I can vouch that I definitely didn't request to be robbed & then dismissed by the Law !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 30 October 2023 9:40:38 AM
Hi there INDYVIDUAL...

G'day mate. I've been out of action for some time (Hospital). However, I was curious to read the very last sentence in your last post. Do I read and understand that you were physically robbed and let down by the police? Please elaborate if you will.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 30 October 2023 10:58:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi o sung wu,
I was told after the last major theft ($35,000) that because the thefts/break-ins happend in Indigenous communities nothing could be done !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 30 October 2023 4:57:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy