The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Housing and electricity affordability: two massive Australian government public policy failures > Comments

Housing and electricity affordability: two massive Australian government public policy failures : Comments

By Charles Hemmings, published 25/8/2023

Our housing crisis and our soaring electricity bills are our fault and it is the more disadvantaged that suffer the most from our failed policies.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Various talking heads assured us that the wholesale cost of wind and solar would be about $50 per MWh or 5c per KWh. Somehow household power bills end up charging around 30c per KWh so some major cost components have clearly been omitted. I suggest these include transmission, frequency correction, profit margin, expensive gas backup and the need to buy green certificates or carbon credits. In my own case I spent $13k this year on a battery system but my power bills have gone up dramatically.

The intergenerational report just out continues this delusion by assuming we'll continue with higher power bills past 2050 but it will be just a slight inconvenience. I think it will be a crisis before 2030. Whole industries like aluminium smelting will shut down unless they can blackmail big subsidies out of the govt. There will be calls to nationalise electricity production and/or reduce immigration. Meanwhile we the hapless voters have a choice of the Libs or Labs who will do neither of those things. Expect a bumpy ride.
Posted by Taswegian, Friday, 25 August 2023 8:40:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The questions posed have a simple philosophical solution; simply redefine what is a terrorist.

Democracy is a dismal failure when the negative outcomes from the ruling classes miss-rule, fall squarely onto the shoulders of those most vulnerable in our communities.

I’m over watching people in my community starve, freeze to death in winter and die of heat exhaustion in summer; and then watch that same group pitched from their homes with unrealistic and totally devoid of conscience rent scorches, onto the street, living from the backs of cars if lucky enough to own one, as an alternative.

The current situation is beyond debate, and urgently calls for a state of emergency to deal with the increasing disaster as a priority.

Throwing at us alternatives to sensible Governance, alternatives of cultural equality rainbow flags, along now with a select group of blacks, who in most cases are fakes, given comfortable chairs in the lounges of ivory towers, needs to be called out!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 25 August 2023 9:05:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One thing is certain and that is renewable energy is in the mix.

Certainly there is competition for that tax-payer money from both traditional and emerging energy technologies.

Some seem to think it has to be one or the other.

Taking charge of your own power needs is an option many take on for a variety of reasons not just cost cutting.

I remember many years ago when solar hot water systems started to become popular.

The then crazed state Premier suggested that the then state run power supplier should start charging those with the solar systems for the cost for the grid electricity they were no longer using.

It seemed crazy to me at the time but not any more.
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Friday, 25 August 2023 9:08:58 AM
Mass immigration is the cause of the housing crisis. 'Supply' has actually increased. Prices will climb even higher though, with the political clases's attacks on gas appliances and rubbish like double glazing (!) as part of the carbon dioxide myth. One Queensland builder about to deal with that state's lunacy reckons the nutty government will add $100,000 to the price of a house.

The untalented Coalition government was incompetent and downright stupidly self-serving, and left-wing; a suitable description has yet to emerge for the Albomorons.

Electricity. Well, that's another piece of political lunacy that defies description. We will have to leave that to future historians to work out what sort of brain fart brought that about. From a reduction of $275 a year, to progressive increases. They will find it hard to explain how an idiot and a liar like Albanese ever got to be Prime Minister.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 25 August 2023 9:11:01 AM
TTBN has got it. Housing and electricity un-affordability are system features, not bugs. Because massive immigration is now a baked-in system feature. Chalmers is using the same immigration figure as Frydenberg, 235,000, but massively overshooting it, and lying about it.

Morrison was awful, but you can't get anywhere, until you arrive at the simple realisation that woke Albanese is better for the rich, worse for everyone else. Where I live - Canberra - they'll never get it.
Posted by Steve S, Friday, 25 August 2023 9:39:49 AM
Both arguably, the result of ungoverned greed which also has to include many politicians, surely?

Other than that, both are affected by the cost of energy and flow on economic factors.

And because we are stuck with prohibitively expensive coal gas and oil, and a pollical class to gormless or greedy or both to transition to nuclear as homegrown MSR thorium.

As Forest Gump said, stupid is as stupid does. And simply has to apply to, stupidity personified, Labor's front bench.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 25 August 2023 11:53:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy