The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Courting media attention with a half-baked idea > Comments

Courting media attention with a half-baked idea : Comments

By Jennifer Clarke, published 25/8/2005

Jennifer Clarke argues Professor Andrew Fraser has some good points on multiculturalism but most of his argument is flawed.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Amen! I think the state of the media is perhaps even the biggest issue here. ‘Sensationalist’ doesn’t even come close to describing it. One shudders to think about the impact these things can have on the attitudes of the general audience.
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 25 August 2005 11:16:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew Fraser says:
"'Whatever you do start with your family, and move outward.'"
Easier said than done, unfortunately. A couple of weeks ago the local throw-away 'community newspaper' made me choke over my cornflakes with a cover story built around the photo of a 3 year old Sudanese pickaninny born in Oz and the accompanying banner headline:NOW MY PARENTS ARE AUSSIES JUST LIKE ME. Inside there was another story about the efforts of the government and refugee advocacy groups to deal with the 'social problems' expected to follow from the creation of a large black African colony in Western Sydney. The solution, apparently, was to look to our “commonality” as Australians!
This was a bit too much to bear so I sent the following letter to the paper:
'The Path to National Suicide'.
Now that a large number of Sudanese refugees have been settled in the Parramatta-Blacktown area, Anglo-Australians are once again expected to acquiesce in the steady erosion of their distinctive national identity.
Australia, it seems, can no longer remain the homeland of a particular people. Instead, it must become a colony of the Third World.
Thirty years ago, no one in the world had any difficulty identifying an Australian. Today, if the headline in the Sun is to be believed, black Africans and Muslim Afghanis 'are Aussies just like' the descendants of the Anglo-Celtic pioneers who settled and built this country.
Community Relations Commissioner Stepan Kerkyasharian declares that 'Australians…have a responsibility' to help those on the losing side in Third World civil wars to settle here, wherever and whenever it suits governments and the ever-expanding refugee industry. He assures us that the ethnic and religious conflicts endemic to every other part of the world will be magically dissolved by the state-enforced 'commonality of Australianism.'
Posted by rancitas, Friday, 26 August 2005 4:45:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
continued..That utopian fantasy is particularly likely to unravel as local African tribal groups grow in size and confidence. Experience practically everywhere in the world tells us that an expanding black population is a sure-fire recipe for increases in crime, violence and a wide range of other social problems.
The fact is that ordinary Australians are being pushed down the path to national suicide by their own political, religious and economic élites. Shutting our eyes to that fact will not make it go away.'
Much to my surprise, not only did the paper print the letter but ran a cover story on it under the headline: KEEP THEM OUT-Academic Demands a Whiter Australia. As well, they ran an editorial denouncing me, but, hey, they spelled my name right!
Besides a complaint to my employer, I received some positive feedback from the public. But my family? My wife sniffed that it was a 'stupid racist' rant and my 27 year old daughter (working on her 3rd degree) declared that she was embarrassed by it. Just a tad demoralising to say the least.
Posted by Drew Fraser on 07/12 at 03:04 AM

I have changed my mind (Irfan). After reading Drew Fraser’s post, I think that his thinking is not only cultural supremacist (like most of us) but racist to boot. And I also think that his expression of that thinking is malicious. Why express such racist language, damaging "judgements" and suspect opinions? Ammo for the conspicuously courageous cultural supremacists and racists who are desperate to fit in with the herd? The usual crew have parroted DF and others’ racist thinking in this forum as if it were gospel truth. They have virtually made that thinking their opinion. Majority Rights: Rawhide - Let’s move ‘em out! Keep them dupes a movin’, Keep them dupes a movin’, ignore the disaproven’, Don’t try to understand ‘em, Jus’ roll’ em, rope ‘em, brand ‘em ... Rawhide
Posted by rancitas, Friday, 26 August 2005 4:47:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“But let’s not pretend that Fraser is the only academic who’s courted way too much media attention for a half-baked idea.”

This could very well be the case with a Dr Susan Maushart mentioned in another forum. When asked about her PhD in an interview, she replied “”I trot that out when I need a bank loan”

Dr Maushart has been on the ABC innumerable times, and writes a weekly column in a national newspaper, and has probably made some of the most discriminatory comments every made by an academic in Australia. However her discriminatory comments have mainly been made about males and children, so no academic has ever objected (and must agree with her)

In the case of differences between races, there is an interesting finding as follows:-

“In all cases, the variation within groups is greater than the variation between groups. On psychological and cognitive dimensions, some members of both sexes and all races fall everywhere along the range. One implication of this is that genius does not come in one color or sex, and neither does any other human ability.”
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/production/files/murray0905.html

So there is often more variation within a group, than between groups. Can this be put to the test?

What is the difference between an Australian, and someone from Papua New Guinea? Well to compare the two nationalities, someone must find an “average” Australian, and then find an “average” Papua New Guinean. I currently live in Australia, but would find it difficult to think of an average Australian, and if I lived in Papua New Guinea I would probably find it difficult to think of an average Papua New Guinean, as there would be so much variation.

It becomes slightly more complicated. Australia has been winning quite a few medals in various international swimming competitions. Does this make Australians good swimmers? Nah. Many Australians are overweight, unfit, and would only get into a swimming pool under duress (particularly in winter). Just ask Fraser or Maushart. They would know.
Posted by Timkins, Monday, 29 August 2005 7:45:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey rancitas just wondering where you found this post by Drew Fraser about his familys reaction to his comments??
Posted by scooper9, Monday, 5 September 2005 5:56:46 PM
Scooper9, Sorry for the delay in responding - haven't had time to visit lately. Check the underlined sections in Jennifer Clarke's article. Look for "sure-fire recipe" that will take you there. I forget the URL. I think it is www.majorityrights.com.
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 8 September 2005 10:18:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy