The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > And the 2023 voice award goes to...the Scots! > Comments

And the 2023 voice award goes to...the Scots! : Comments

By Stuart Ballantyne, published 10/8/2023

For sure, if there was an award for the nation who contributed the most to Australia, it would definitely go to the Scots!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Burke and Wills get all the fame for attempting a disastrous return crossing of Australia but they died trying. John MacDouall Stuart was the competent but unassuming Scot who made it yet didn't get the accolades.
Posted by Taswegian, Thursday, 10 August 2023 9:07:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many nations have sent their nationals here and all have contributed something, some good and positive, some bad and negative, and some a bit of both. And native-born Australians as well. The past is a foreign nation and all that matters is what we do now! We can f#ck it or fix it. Currently we seem on track to f#ck it!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 10 August 2023 10:03:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is too much of this ancestry clap trap in Australia. I'm half Scottish myself; but the only time I've been in Scotland, I found the country and the people miserable. Not so the Scots who migrated here because they might have felt the same way.

A few nights ago, on a TV news segment about that ridiculous game, soccer, I saw a woman with an Australian accent talking abwout "we Moroccans".

What bulldust! You are either an Australian or you are not. If you are not an Australian citizen, you shouldn't be here - unless you are temporary resident for some reason. If you are an immigrant who is a citizen, but want to call yourself something else, why did you come here!
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 10 August 2023 10:44:17 AM
Yay! I'm a winner.

Great great great great great great great great great great Grandfather Angus finally gets some recognition.
Sent here after getting caught stealing a sheep.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 10 August 2023 12:43:35 PM
Being of Scottish descent,you are spot on.
Posted by Aspley, Thursday, 10 August 2023 3:22:16 PM
Puff pieces such as this one are fine but any serious study of the interactions between Scottish immigrants and Indigenous Australian's has to concede the horrendous toll in human life that was inflicted by the Scots.

What makes it even more poignant is the fact that many of the Scots were fleeing their own dispossession as the Highland Clearings were in full swing prompting the exodus to the new colony.

Rather than showing much empathy at all the Scots were brutal in their claiming of Aboriginal lands and wholesale slaughter was a notable feature. This theme was explored a few years ago at the Ballarat Art Gallery.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 10 August 2023 3:37:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy