The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The occupation and Jewish values > Comments

The occupation and Jewish values : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 18/7/2023

Although the pogroms committed by the settlers that followed were condemned by Netanyahu and the leaders of the opposition, the settlers have been listening all along to the likes of ministers Ben-Gvir and Smotrich.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
There are many Jewish values. The present government of Israel embodies Jewish values. Those Jewish Israelis who oppose the present government have Jewish values. I am an Australian Jew, and I have Jewish values. I think the present government of Israel is horrible, and I oppose it.

Christian values supported the Holocaust. Christian values supported those Christians who opposed the Holocaust.

Religions are complex and embody many opposing values. Perhaps, it is a more fruitful way to peace to admit that, and concentrate on the humanitarian values shared with those one opposes.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 18 July 2023 10:08:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jewish values and the occupation are incompatible. And should terminate ASAP. and then a negotiated two state solution should be completed.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 18 July 2023 4:46:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
1. Revenge+Enmity:

"No Ammonite or Moabite or any of their descendants may enter the assembly of the Lord, not even in the tenth generation.
For they did not come to meet you with bread and water on your way when you came out of Egypt, and they hired Balaam son of Beor from Pethor in Aram Naharaim to pronounce a curse on you.
However, the Lord your God would not listen to Balaam but turned the curse into a blessing for you, because the Lord your God loves you.
Do not seek a treaty of friendship with them as long as you live."
[Deuteronomy 23:3-6]

2. Extermination:

"Remember what the Amalekites did to you along the way when you came out of Egypt.
When you were weary and worn out, they met you on your journey and attacked all who were lagging behind; they had no fear of God.
When the Lord your God gives you rest from all the enemies around you in the land he is giving you to possess as an inheritance, you shall blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven. Do not forget!"
[Deuteronomy 25:17-19]

3. Demolition+Expulsion:

"“Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you cross the Jordan into Canaan,
drive out all the inhabitants of the land before you. Destroy all their carved images and their cast idols, and demolish all their high places.
Take possession of the land and settle in it, for I have given you the land to possess.
Distribute the land by lot, according to your clans. To a larger group give a larger inheritance, and to a smaller group a smaller one. Whatever falls to them by lot will be theirs. Distribute it according to your ancestral tribes.
“‘But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will become barbs in your eyes and thorns in your sides. They will give you trouble in the land where you will live.
And then I will do to you what I plan to do to them"
[Numbers 33:51-56]
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 18 July 2023 5:16:28 PM
Dear Yuyutsu,

The Jewish Bible contains parts that contradict the passages you cited:

eg. Exodus 22:9 20 And a stranger shalt thou not wrong, neither shalt thou oppress him; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Leviticus 19;10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather the fallen fruit of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and for the stranger:

Those who support the present government of Israel and those who oppose it can cite the Jewish scriptures to support their view.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 18 July 2023 6:46:44 PM
Dear David F.,

Yes, I am very aware of the contents of the Jewish Bible,
it is a diverse collection of Jewish materials of varied views and varied quality,
some sections of it are wise, even spiritual/religious while others are idiotic nationalist and political propaganda, distortions of history and other such rubbish.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 18 July 2023 7:05:46 PM
Dear Yuyutsu,

I don't know about the Scriptures of all religions, but they may be the same sort of collection containing nonsense about God and gods. I look forward to the day when we can treat them all as we do the myths of the past about Zeus et al. Entertaining stories.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 18 July 2023 7:49:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy