The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > God save the King! > Comments

God save the King! : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 8/6/2023

The coronation of King Charles III is a lesson on how English monarchy understands itself as foundational for the nation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I especially enjoyed the music using during the 'service'. As for the 'service'? I think the whole show was written and directed by John Cleese and the Monty Python team. Noone could have done a better job.

Long live Lizzie the Last!

dkit
Posted by DKit42, Thursday, 8 June 2023 8:57:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suspect that Charles, for all his weird habits and idiosyncrasies, probably has his own views on this mythical god being. He also is smart enough to keep them to himself as, if he didn`t, he would not be king.
Posted by ateday, Thursday, 8 June 2023 9:33:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony Eagleton (so well known!) and "reason" are strangers to each other. The Monarchy, no matter who the Monarch is, protects us from politicians: one example of this being the Monarchy's representative in Australia sacking the horrendous Gough Whitlam, an act supported overwhelmingly by the people at the ensuing election.

Thanks for this article exposing another dill we would not normally know about.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 8 June 2023 9:46:39 AM
What we do not need is a foreign King who puts English concerns ahead of ours, especially when it comes to trade issues. The King may serve God, but how is that demonstrated, by fidelity in marriage, e.g.?

For mine we need to become a republic. But before that we need a bill of rights that must include a citizens'-initiated referenda. So, in the event of a corrupt individual taking power, the citizens could compel an election. And optional preferencing, e.g.!

That said, we may follow Britian which may become a republic before we do.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 8 June 2023 11:14:41 AM
A Republic requires people with sense who care & who know more words than the word 'Money' !
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 8 June 2023 5:11:14 PM
Thanks Peter Sellick for the article- some food for thought. I often think the US's slave to separation of church and state has led to some problems. Yet the US is one of the more religious nations- in some ways perhaps more religious than the UK.
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 9 June 2023 6:56:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy