The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A rich and confident country > Comments

A rich and confident country : Comments

By Michael Knox, published 27/10/2022

The Treasurer’s main problem is distributing the benefits of the commodities boom.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
No problem.
The rich just keep getting richer.
As for the rest of us......always the wall.
Posted by ateday, Thursday, 27 October 2022 8:43:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This "rich and prosperous country" is in debt to the tune of more than $1 trillion - half its economy.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 27 October 2022 8:52:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Functioning democracies are dependent on economic good fortune. We now have faltering growth and relative economic decline.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 27 October 2022 9:00:10 AM
"The Treasurer’s main problem is distributing the benefits of the commodities boom."

And the Treasurer's main answer is, give a record share to profits. This is all in the Piketty books. I don't think they read them at Morgans.
Posted by Steve S, Thursday, 27 October 2022 9:41:03 AM
A responsible budget? Perhaps, but it was a steady as she goes, (boring as bat-shite) ho hum, visionless one. And included lots of (ideologically imposed) wasteful spending on renewables and transmission lines/cables. All of which would have been unnecessary if we lifted the self-imposed embargo on nuclear power! Namely MSR thorium and a median power price PKWH of just 1.98 cents.

Or, if we accepted other folks nuclear waste and be paid annual millions for simply taking the stuff. Could have burnt it for centuries and created all but free, industrial power. Then been trampled (hypothetically) in the rush as the energy dependent industries of the world made their way to our doorstep.

At this time what was needed was the still AWOL future vision rather than rabbit frozen in headlight glare timidity, dressed up as a responsible budget.

Or if you will. Yas sur Massa just as Ya'll say Massa. Now can ah please have a tummy rub Massa?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 27 October 2022 9:53:14 AM
The budget, as Alan B puts it, was rather boring as bat shite. Agree.
I do not see any measures to address the wealth gap from the have mores to the have nots.
Nor did I see any real measures to address wage to inflation mismatch that will be meaningful.
The budget lacked substance, vision and reform.
Same ol' same ol' again.
Disappointed, however not surprised I am disappointed.
As a multiple company owner if I ran my businesses in this manner i'd have been down the gurgler years ago.
Agility and innovation is key, our Government on either side of the fence seems to be incapable or unaware of this.
Posted by ViolentEntropy, Thursday, 27 October 2022 7:17:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy