The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sport’s chance to prove its value as a bridge builder with the South Pacific > Comments

Sport’s chance to prove its value as a bridge builder with the South Pacific : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 23/9/2022

No less than half the graded players in the NRL premiership have a Pacific Island or NZ Maori background.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
God save us from “ Do-Gooders”.

You don’t see yourself as a problem Jeffrey, and that of itself is a worry.

Proposing PenState’s Jerry Sandusky’s version of the second mile for Islanders, has already moved forward while you weren’t watching.

Professional sport is corporately captured, Jerry Sandusky style. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sandusky

The rainbow flag is well-imbedded with powerful influences, Islanders are not stupid, and demonstrate an intolerance of its anti religious, anti cultural ideology.

Loyalty can only be bought while the money flows, the Chinese will win that one!
My advice would be, leave them to their own devices. Paternalism is a failure

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 23 September 2022 7:42:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There should be no public funding for sport because (a) it is insanely woke, and (b) the economy has been wrecked by politicians.

Any money spent in our region should be for defence, not airy fairy "bridge building".
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 23 September 2022 9:43:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mostly agree with the comments, particularly with regard to political timidly! But what the Pacific needs above all else including popular sports, is affordable energy.

Almost every nation has some thorium. which currently is treated as waste. Waste that's less radioactive than a banana.

Both milk and Brazil nuts are also radioactive, and no antinuclear nut job or greenie (same animal) are going bananas over our use of those in our diet! My God mum they're eating radioactive bananas, and Brazil

Once we roll out MSR thorium as SMRs and start producing the world's cheapest, safest energy and carbon-free energy to boot we can get thorium powered economies going gang busters. And for at least the next 100 years.

And with that change end Putin's hold on the short and curlies of energy dependent economies.

As for signing some antinuclear treaty? No, I wouldn't! Given our potential adversaries in the foreseeable future are nuclear armed and possibly willing to use them if any conflict they initiate starts to go badly for them!

I mean, no gun law, e.g., has prevented gun crime. And any anti-nuclear treaty is worthless if unenforceable for all comers!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 September 2022 10:10:39 AM
I like sport and would watch RL and Cricket on the box. But now not so much due to the need to ration energy because of cost.

My bugbear with sport is the number of foreign bookies touting the odds for your betting dollar. And with that dollar annual billions leaving these shores and tax free.

I wouldn't mind so much if the bookie was a local tax paying Aussie. And if some limits/a proscribed register, could be placed on all who are addicted to gambling. For the above reasons would officially place an all-media ban on gambling ads by foreign based bookies.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 September 2022 11:06:32 AM
Anyone who calls football Sport better check their DNA, they'd have to be of Neanderthal heritage !
Posted by Indyvidual, Friday, 23 September 2022 11:35:07 AM
Absolutely correct Indy, every person with some European heritage has some Neanderthal DNA in their genetic code. And not all of the above are sport loving individuals! Some absolutely hate team sport. But may enjoy sport like tennis, horse or motor racing.

Some with no Neanderthal DNA in their ancestorial heritage, but Deveron (Indigenous with black African forebears, all Australian aborigines) also love sport! Even more so to a generic man!

Simply put, your DNA has nothing whatsoever to do with what one enjoys as popular entertainment! Or whether one is male or female!

Some obese folk hate sport? Given they almost always fail and are embarrassed. the one exception may be swimming? where their body fat content helps keep them afloat.

Some nerds also have difficulty with sport given their interests almost lie elsewhere.

That said, building bridges with Pacific communities with Australian money as grants, would be money better spent helping address cost of living issues as vastly cheaper energy supply, i.e., MSR thorium!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 24 September 2022 9:56:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy