The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > “Recalibrating” censorship in Australia > Comments

“Recalibrating” censorship in Australia : Comments

By Laurence Maher, published 18/8/2022

The commissioner of the world's first regulatory authority for online harms wants more censorship legislation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Online censorship is totalitarian quashing of freedom of speech, now a common practice in Australia.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 18 August 2022 8:55:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For too long the holy rollers decided what you could see and what you could think!

I believe in the freedom of speech and robust debate. Robust debate proceeded all human progress. And will continue to do so!

One debate that cannot be censored or routinely ignored by tin-eared pollies is the debate on energy and the role of essential nuclear power in our future energy provision going forward, i.e. MSR thorium!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 18 August 2022 10:55:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If anyone wants to ridicule, disagree or criticise my religious, political, social or any other opinions or beliefs they should be free to so do so. I don't need protection from them. Justice Holmes of the US Supreme Court maintained that one should not have the right to yell 'fire' in a crowded theatre. That's a reasonable limitation to speech. Only speech which presents a clear and present danger should be limited. Thomas Jefferson maintained that error should stand free as a monument to truth. Overuse of the words, fantastic and awesome, are offensive to me, but I'll just have to bear it.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 18 August 2022 11:40:53 AM
Remember the ditty, "Sticks & stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me".

About time we started teaching it to all the petals we have grown in our society.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 18 August 2022 12:38:18 PM
There are only two types of creatures in the internet, all identical, so which of them is more dangerous and ought be removed - the 0's or the 1's?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 18 August 2022 5:54:22 PM
Dear Yuyutsu,

You may find the following of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_code

"The modern binary number system, the basis for binary code, was invented by Gottfried Leibniz in 1689 and appears in his article Explication de l'Arithmétique Binaire. The full title is translated into English as the "Explanation of the binary arithmetic", which uses only the characters 1 and 0, with some remarks on its usefulness, and on the light it throws on the ancient Chinese figures of Fu Xi.[1] Leibniz's system uses 0 and 1, like the modern binary numeral system. Leibniz encountered the I Ching through French Jesuit Joachim Bouvet and noted with fascination how its hexagrams correspond to the binary numbers from 0 to 111111, and concluded that this mapping was evidence of major Chinese accomplishments in the sort of philosophical visual binary mathematics he admired.[2][3] Leibniz saw the hexagrams as an affirmation of the universality of his own religious belief.[3]

Binary numerals were central to Leibniz's theology. He believed that binary numbers were symbolic of the Christian idea of creatio ex nihilo or creation out of nothing.[4] Leibniz was trying to find a system that converts logic verbal statements into a pure mathematical one[citation needed]. After his ideas were ignored, he came across a classic Chinese text called I Ching or ‘Book of Changes’, which used 64 hexagrams of six-bit visual binary code. The book had confirmed his theory that life could be simplified or reduced down to a series of straightforward propositions. He created a system consisting of rows of zeros and ones. During this time period, Leibniz had not yet found a use for this system.[5]

Binary systems predating Leibniz also existed in the ancient world. The aforementioned I Ching that Leibniz encountered dates from the 9th century BC in China.[6] The binary system of the I Ching, a text for divination, is based on the duality of yin and yang.[7] Slit drums with binary tones are used to encode messages across Africa and Asia.[7] The Indian scholar Pingala (around 5th–2nd centuries BC) developed a binary system for describing prosody in his Chandashutram.[8][9"
Posted by david f, Thursday, 18 August 2022 6:55:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy