The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Healthy Great Barrier Reef, healthy environmental scandal > Comments

Healthy Great Barrier Reef, healthy environmental scandal : Comments

By Graham Young, published 11/8/2022

The release of the Australian Institute of Marine Science’s Annual Summary Report on Coral Reef Condition for 2021/22 has exposed a major scandal in Australian environmental management.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
If the media wasn't such rubbish, it would be hounding the reef rent seekers and the anything-goes political class over this.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 11 August 2022 8:39:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder if we will get an apology from "the-Great Barrier- Reef- will- die" Adam Bandt.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 11 August 2022 9:08:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow.

There is certainly a heap of having it both ways in this article.

So reef coverage is now “at record levels”, but the study was done by AIMS who are so highly inaccurate “ the 10 per cent minimum cover around 2012 may actually have been 20 per cent.” So is it definitely at record levels or it just might be?

Since “We know that over 50 per cent of published scientific studies are wrong.” but we can now definitively say the reef isn't endangered, in fact “The only thing endangered about the reef ought to be the ideological ‘terrorists’ masquerading as scientists who held it hostage for so long.”

And apparently AIMS is so corrupt and ideologically driven they have been dramatically over-blowing the reef's deterioration which is proven by a report they produced themselves of a large increase in coverage thus exposed those faults.

So the best thing it seems from the author is to land smack bang in the middle and conclude: “This would mean a much more static and less dynamic reef, but again that is good news because it would mean that for 36 years the reef has maintained itself, contrary to the current narrative, and without our help.”

All in all a pretty tortured piece in my opinion.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 11 August 2022 9:38:02 AM
In my view the reef is a dead horse that the greenies are flogging. That it will follow reefs around the world and succumb to climate change and water temperatures that kill coral. Just a question of time. Regardless of the billions we throw at it.

Money that could and should be R+D into MSR thorium. The cheapest safest power in the world and carbon free to boot. And a must do if we really want to reverse climate change and save not just our reef but life on planet earth. See LFTR in five minutes.

Not sure how much I trust the objectivity of scientists who receive study grants from the fossil fuel industry!?

Mystery oil slicks suggest to me the reef harbours commercial oil and gas deposits, which will earn more for Oz than all the stay away tourists.

The pandemic is far from over and by Christmas could easily be the cause of the greatest number of deaths in our overloaded hospital system with ambulance ramping that's scandalous.

Simply put, we cannot actually live with covid! But need to do what we did with polio and smallpox!

The new variants are created in the unvaccinated and that needs to change. A healthy environment is one where we don't live with covid or record CO2 in our atmosphere. Throwing money at symptoms without attacking causes is insanity!
Alan B.

We cannot keep our hospital systems on permanent overload with just covid patients. AS others wait on heart and elective surgery.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 11 August 2022 10:51:23 AM
I think my brain just exploded reading this article :)

So did you actually interview experts, like Professor Terry Hughes about this ? Seems like you just talked to a bunch of folks who have no expertise on the GBR ?

and according to you it could have been the easter bunny aka god aka father christmas doing their thing ? and if it was god, which one? there are literally thousands of them, Neptune perhaps ? or you don't believe in that one as it's ludicrous ?

I read here for sensible contrarian views, not the made up wishful nonsense of those you mention in this article, better know as "Confident Idiots", as Professor David Dunning calls them

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/sasi/wp-content/uploads/sites/275/2015/11/PS-Nov-Dec-2014-Ignorance.pdf
Posted by Valley Guy, Thursday, 11 August 2022 12:58:15 PM
Yes Alan, it is well known there are large reserves of oil under the reef, but we have over a hundred years supply of shale oil to harvest, proven by the RUNDLE SHALE OIL PROJECT which adjoins the reef reserves. Once the global warming scam is debunked we might just start harvesting it.

SR is back again with the lefty hym book garbage, but who cares.

Here is my personal experience with all three GBR rent seekers.

In 84 I took over management of a largest marine tourist operation in the Whitsundays. We had 2 large international cats, 209 & 324 passenger capacity respectively & ran outer reef trips with either of them daily. I was horrified when I saw the operation, & new we would kill someone if we continued as we were doing. Only very good skippers were preventing a catastrophe.

I knew we must have a terminal out at Hardy Reef, which would be a first for the area. The area was due to be gazetted a marine park in another 16 months, so the Transport Dept. would have nothing to do with any application, the Marine park authority had no authority & no one else was interested.

continued
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 11 August 2022 1:35:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy