The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Facial recognition technology down under > Comments

Facial recognition technology down under : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 1/8/2022

An investigation by CHOICE which found that the department store chain Kmart, and household warehouse chain Bunnings, were using FRT to ostensibly protect customers and staff while reducing theft in select stores.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Another well-written and timely article.
I avoid Bunnings like the plague; their store surveillance is beyond rude, is arbitrary and confronting.

As the author has highlighted in the article, FRT technology will brand you forever as the enemy, even if totally unjustified by evidence.
What is criminal here, is not the shoplifter so much as the users of this intrusive technology.

Further to the main point of the article viz, the use of FRT, are answers to the question, how far afield is a unjust judgment on a customer at one retail point, spread afield among other retailers? Is there a common data base where the “branded” are listed for singling out?

This technology is evil, unjust and should be banned in retail outlets, in my opinion

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 1 August 2022 8:03:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I read that Bunnings had dropped it because of public backlash. That could be SA only.

Just wait until the government starts doing it. They want to sign up to global surveillance, and they will be able to track you wherever you go. All part of Chinese Communist Party-style social credit. The CCP might even be providing the equipment, now that we have a hard Left regime in Canberra.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 1 August 2022 9:31:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not worried because my appearance would crack the lens of any security camera thus rendering it useless !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 1 August 2022 9:57:24 AM
Not bothered! Nothing to hide! Nothing to fear!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 1 August 2022 10:54:44 AM
Alan

You think you have nothing to hide. You don't know what the government might want from you one day.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 1 August 2022 5:31:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy