The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Public Christians in a secular age > Comments

Public Christians in a secular age : Comments

By Greg Bondar, published 29/7/2022

Public Christians in a Secular Age makes the point that the future of faith requires Christians in business, ministry, and media not to be 'secular' but to reimagine life and activity according to a higher purpose.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The media is the problem, not the solution .The terrorism of equality and its rainbow flag of intolerance has an urgent need to be lowered and burnt.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 29 July 2022 7:37:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The separation of church and state is a cornerstone of our democratic society. The writer believes Christians must fight a "holy war" against the evils of Secularism in society, what evils? The fact we enjoy tolerance from religious intolerance and bigotry is a good thing, lets keep it that way.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 29 July 2022 9:34:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As long as unelected persons claim to know the will of God and speak for him with their only authority, a 2,000 year book, this trend will continue as former Christians seek the truth rather than faith based myth and legend.

Moreover, when all one has is faith rather than solid facts one can prove! Then the supplicant must hold open in their mind that the opposite could also be true!

I think the task for Christianity is to seek out the truth and seek to serve rather than "rule"!

That for mine means a return to pre Constantine esoteric Christianity and the Christianity that then prevailed.

No minister is a judge to decide what is sin. Sin in its original meaning meant to merely miss the mark. And our mistakes are how we learn and progress!

And the sexuality one is born with is how God created him or her or others. And not via choice! No hetrosexual I know would choose to be gay! [Nor I, unless a gun was held to my head!]

No Christian can say with Absolute authority/certainty that this is not so. Whereas medical science can and part of the reason why the Church in its current intolerant and willfully blind form is dying!

If one must believe something then that something is the mighty irrefutable truth. And part of that truth is, the last thing on most folks minds is the (Paganized) Church and its dying writhing.

What is on most folks minds is the economy the cost of energy and what a do nothing real Government intends to do about it? Perhaps we can all go pray for relief from the ever rising cost of getting by and just putting food on the table? And create covid super spreader events in overcrowded Churches?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 29 July 2022 1:09:50 PM
Here we go again. Religions trying to impose their stupidity on others.
Why can theists realize that their religion is harmful. Based on no evidence and nothing but a delusion.
Posted by TheAtheist, Friday, 29 July 2022 4:10:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Greg Bondar.

As an atheist and a "secularist" I acknowledge that the generally good values of Christianity have served as the basis for moral thought in the protestant western world. But whether you like it or not, people are turning away from religion because the mysteries of life which once confounded us are being explained away by science.

People everywhere no longer believe in some supernatural entity which once zoomed around deep space grabbing great bit chunks of nothing and banging them together, and creating trillions of galaxies with hundreds of billions of stars.

We do live in a secular age and just saying that something we do is either right or wrong because "God said it is right or wrong" in the Bible, no longer cuts it. People need to work out what is right and wrong for themselves. The moral imperatives which once ruled the lives of people thousands of years ago may or my not be applicable to the modern age.

You seem to have an adversarial approach to "secularists" who you think are anti Christian? You are not necessarily correct on that score. There are "secularists" like myself who have no problem with Christianity, provided that you and your co religionists go too far in using your still strong influence to ram whatever outdated Christian principles down the throats of people like me.

The basis of all morality was historically based upon the concepts of how far should individuals sublimate their natural self interest, in order to be considered a valued members of a group? Because entirely self interested people are of no use to group survival. This was such an important concept for the survival of every self protecting group of people, that the values that guided the survival of the group became religiously ordained by whatever clergy existed within the group.

But times change and values change. What worked in the past may not be applicable in the present. Carving religious values in stone and thinking that all of these values can never change, can never work.
Posted by LEGO, Saturday, 30 July 2022 4:42:09 AM
Ho Ho Lego, ( There’s a rhyme)!

Imagine a pie chart divided into ten percent and ninety percent, your argument covers the very minority ten percent.

There once was a society glued together by morality, then came ethics which was a secularist invention, and down the plug hole went a cohesive society.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 30 July 2022 7:25:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy