The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The joys of bilingualism > Comments

The joys of bilingualism : Comments

By Andris Heks, published 28/7/2022

For one thing, if you keep translating between English and your other language, it will deepen your understanding of English too.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thank Gods for banality, it sure does take the mind of meaningful issues !

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 28 July 2022 7:26:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Modern Australians don't have a good enough handle on English to bother with other languages.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 28 July 2022 8:32:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Two senior ladies that I knew had a very poor if unfounded opinion of me and saw me as an Australian hayseed/country bunkum. And at one social function aided with a little lubrication were giving full vent to their master race opinions of yours truly, in German.

Anyhow, as the evening progressed I ventured to ask them in their native tongue if they spoke English? You could have heard a pin drop when they asked me if I spoke German. When I replied, ya.

Not my native tongue but something I studied when going out with a German lady.

That said, English is the language of science, Given it is more precise than any of the others given all the various, French, German and Latin roots.

Moreover, I believe in a land where English is the Universal language. Then we need to be proficient in that language, as difficult as that may be! Ditto in the case of French, German or Italian e.g.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 28 July 2022 10:58:12 AM
The best way to learn a new language, is via the mother tongue method the way babies learn their native tongue.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 28 July 2022 11:05:08 AM
If you want to learn another language, learn the one of your potential enemies !
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 2 August 2022 8:05:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy