The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A vision full of power for Australia > Comments

A vision full of power for Australia : Comments

By Stuart Ballantyne, published 10/5/2022

Savannah was capable of circling the earth 14 times at 20 knots without refuelling. Nowadays a similar 14,000kW of installed power would cost around US$49 million in just fuel alone.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
With the “bitch-pack” of Neo-romanticist Heliogabalian rainbow flag independents, charging towards Canberra…no hope for nuclear anything except nuclear fusion bombs!

God save us.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 8:50:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Russians have an Arctic cruise ship 50 Years of Victory powered by two 171 MW reactors. My guess is that customers are backing away as is the Finnish order for a new 1200 MW power station. Shipping is thought to account for over 2.5% of global emissions. Some ports won't let cruise ships burn bunker fuel as it stinks up the port area. Logic suggests more nuclear shipping but alas the world is not logical.

Last October the British nuclear sub Astute visited Perth. AFAIK no one was harmed. Perhaps that's a sign of less fear mongering. The shipping firm Maersk proposes to run container ships on supposedly carbon neutral methanol. I'd be more worried by a methanol leak. There is no perfect power system.
Posted by Taswegian, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 10:20:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Powering a ship with fuel that is as rare as platinum and as costly doesn't make a lot of sense. However, if that fuel was as common as lead and as cheap, you'd only needed a handful to power the same ship for several years with, walk away safe, power! You'd surely consider spending a few bucks for that outcome?

Simply put, just 8 grams of metallic thorium contains enough recoverable energy to power your house and car for a century without refueling. The cost of mining and refining a fractional 8 grams of thorium, just around $100,00. that my friends is just $1.00 a year.

And if we had it, it would kill fossil fuels and current conventional nuclear and the very reason our bought and paid for pollies refuse to consider it?

Thorium also produces the miracle cancer cure Bismuth 213. as a spin off of MSR thorium. MSR can also be retasked to burn and burn time and again, toxic nuclear waste, reducing the toxicity and reducing the half life to just 300 years!

The question the pollies need to answer, is, why not? Given it would be the safest, cleanest and cheapest power on the planet!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 10 May 2022 10:59:47 AM
No perfect power system Tas? Well MSR thorium comes as close as one can get. Thorium delivers everything fusion promised, but never delivered.

Australia has around 40% of the world's reserves of thorium and that is enough to power Australia until the end of time!

And with a power source cheap enough to drought proof the joint/turn our arid inland into a veritable garden of Eden and a food bowl for the world. The next boom will be a food boom!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 10 May 2022 11:14:52 AM
Here Here. The public (greenish) attitude is ridiculous.
I doubt the public attitude will change before one cold night the
families sit in the dark looking at a cold dinner !
The next morning they will demand nuclear energy before dinner tonight.
I am considering voting green this election as I think they will
crash the electrical system much sooner than the Liberals and so will
waste much less money and enable a real change to be made sooner.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 2:29:39 PM
Bazz,

Renewable energy is already a failure in Europe, but the media in Australia don't give it much coverage.

It is very nice to read an article promoting nuclear power. I am not a member of the climate catastrophe cult, but I do see nuclear energy as environmentally advantageous and a provider of low cost energy over the long generating lives of the power stations. A big shame nuclear energy has been so unjustly vilified by the left, and perplexing as nuclear power is so much loved by their commie mates.
Posted by Fester, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 8:15:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy