The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Panic in Kooyong: the threat to the Australian Liberal Party > Comments

Panic in Kooyong: the threat to the Australian Liberal Party : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 5/5/2022

He has been seen, not always accurately, as the more moderate in an otherwise conservative Liberal Party, which has governed Australia since 2013.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Being "more moderate" is not the way to attract voters who don't want Green Labor; there could be a few "moderate" Liberals losing their seats because they are not much different from the Labor/Green/Voices candidates targeting them. People will punish anyone whom they feel has let them down, particularly if they don't realise just how off-the-planet and vicious the replacements will be; and most Australians are politically illiterate. They might, however, be irked by a candidate calling herself 'doctor' (she is a doctor) when most, if not all, candidates just use their names. Ryan, of course, might believe that a lot of naive Australians still believe the old 'doctor knows best' adage - even after the Covid stuff up and ruination of so many lives.

On the other hand, if the polls and surveys are correct, "climate action" is not going to be a winner, as Labor discovered last time. As for "integrity". Who in their right mind looks for that in politicians and would-be politicians!

Fortunately, voters will make the decision, and not too many of them will have heard of Binoy Kampmark and what he thinks.

I am not a fan of Freydenberg; but getting rid of him for the alternative, who should stick to what she knows, would be a big mistake.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 5 May 2022 9:24:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think most folk have decided, enough is enough and time for change! Plus many have already decided who they'll vote for i.e., none of the above? Or because it's not Scott Morrison or Elbow?

I believe a hung parliament would be a good wake up call for both parties, who currently seem to serve narrow vested interest, with around 15% deciding policies and then expecting the fools on the hill to sell it for them!

It cannot be business as usual! But instead, real action on climate change and transitioning away from fossil fuels and means, they need to end the self imposed and asinine embargo on the nuclear option! Especially ( it's the economy stupid) labor!

We also need to embrace cooperative capitalism as the only way to avoid the depression that is looming for the global economy and the USA as opposed to the business as usual BS!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 5 May 2022 10:12:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don’t support criminal and their enterprises, so I don’t care what happens in the Kooyong electorate. Zzzz.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 5 May 2022 2:17:40 PM
Of course there's panic in Kooyong as can be seen
from the vast amount of money spent on Josh
Frydenberg's billboards hanging everywhere
imaginable - with the message "Keep Josh," written
on them. He's obviously worried as he should be.

This Liberal National Government has had more than
a decade to act. And now throwing money to get elected
voters are simply not buying it.

Dr Monique Ryan is an Independent running opposite
Josh Frydenberg and is very well known in the electorate
and highly respected. She's certainly not a career
politician which is probably why she is the right candidate
for Kooyong. She cares about her community. She is stepping
away from her role as Director of Neurology at the Royal
Children's Hospital to run as an Independent candidate.

I wish her success.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 5 May 2022 3:26:07 PM
I wish her success.
Foxy,
Well, her medical career can't have been all that successful if she swaps that for politics !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 May 2022 9:10:57 PM
Foxy,
Give me a career politician anytime over a career Doctor. I much prefer a good Doctor with ethics & competence & pride in their profession.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 7 May 2022 8:58:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy