The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Context is everything > Comments

Context is everything : Comments

By Steven Schwartz, published 3/5/2022

Is prolonged grief following the death of a loved one an illness? Who decides? And how?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I wonder what the good professor would have to say to aboriginals from the "stolen Generation" who are still grieving about being taken from their tribal lands and kin.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 3 May 2022 10:00:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To grieve, first one must love. The deeper the love, the longer we grieve. Even today years after her death I still miss Nell my constant companion and fearless protector.

Nell was a stumpty tail who gave unconditional love and died of a disease she got from a stray that wandered in when I was otherwise occupied.

There's a lot to be said for fences that are electrified or dog proof, if one has a beloved and sorely missed animal companion. Dogs are better people than people! Context is everything!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 3 May 2022 10:30:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That would be the descendants of the alleged stolen generation grieving over the lack of monetary compensation for events they don't remember and were not involved in.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 3 May 2022 10:33:43 AM
My forebears were removed by force from their traditional homelands in Ireland and Scotland. And by and large robbed of their native tongue. I could become obsessed and constantly bang on about my dislocation etc.

Except, I never knew until I was an adult a could rationalize something that happened time and again across nations and generations untold! If however, my forebears had grieved to the point of madness? I could become grief stricken for my (oh woe is me) loss.

I also believe we need to remove children from abusive situations where they're being violated and subjected to all manner of brutality etc. Regardless of race colour or creed, without exception!

And not be swayed by crocodile tears and mountains of humbug. What happened in the past happened and cannot be changed. And successive generations cannot be held to account for something done by others!

I'll own my own behavior and wish others would do the same! Context is everything
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 3 May 2022 10:52:17 AM
Alan,

Yes.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 3 May 2022 11:20:53 AM
From the article..."Thomas Szasz warned against making illnesses out of the slings and arrows of life."

Theodore Dalrymple has made similar points. His view is that medicalisation of 'depression' represents a new phase in society.

In the past, people were unhappy. If unhappy people wanted to become happy people, it was up to them, personally, to do so.
OTOH, depressed people suffer depression. Since, it is claimed, depression is an illness, it is the responsibility of the medical community to 'fix it'.

So, as with so many other aspects of modern life, personal responsibility is removed.
Posted by mhaze, Wednesday, 4 May 2022 7:26:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy