The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > UN General Assembly majority greenlights Russia's rape of Ukraine > Comments

UN General Assembly majority greenlights Russia's rape of Ukraine : Comments

By David Singer, published 12/4/2022

The UN General Assembly completely lost its moral compass when it voted on 7 April for Russia's suspension from the Human Rights Council.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Poor old Dave.

Why would Russia sit mutely by when the US meddles in the politics of a neighbouring State?

It’s quite refreshing that UN member States are aware of this fact and cast a vote for Russia.

Sorry David, your wrong to object.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 12 April 2022 7:50:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To try to manufacture a greenlight for Russia to rape and pillage in Ukraine from U.N. assembly's majority vote is the height of self delusion? It is instead a big red light!

And needs to go further and remove Russia and a hostile China from the security counsel to remove their right to veto majority determinations?

If it doesn't act as outlined, I see the outcome as WW111! As the only measure left to resolve an outcome the democracies can live with?

Don't say you weren't warned you patently pro- Russia mouthpiece.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 12 April 2022 10:18:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"And needs to go further and remove Russia and a hostile China from the security counsel to remove their right to veto majority determinations?"

That to me seems like a really good way to fast-track a nuclear war.
I support Russia.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 12 April 2022 11:44:47 PM
Being a nuclear power makes them a permanent member of the security council- so that would imply that they need to have their nuclear status removed- to which their answer will be- over my cold dead body- my answer being- "what ever will be will be"- the Doris Day response- can you hear the music.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 13 April 2022 1:25:23 AM
Step back and look at the bigger picture....?

To separate oneself from a harmful person is survival instinct kicking in.
Long, long, ago, it was the norm?
In practice, where a large group was being harassed by one of their number, they would force him away to a distant place.
He would be harmed, or even killed, if he approached them.

This banishment worked well when most of the world's surface was unknown and uninhabited.
But that is no longer the case.
Now, one would simply be sending him to the realm of some other group.
Who might send him to another, and so on.
Nothing positive would be achieved.
So a different approach is needed.

Now we keep them close, and keep an eye on them.
Usually by confining them within a controlled space we call a jail or correctional centre.
In extreme cases, a society will execute a trouble maker.
Where another country has a leader or a prominent person whose behaviour is a problem, that is not so easily done.

In that situation, other countries can only maintain strong defences, and keep as much contact with the 'trouble-maker' as is deemed desirable.
This is all they can do, when they want to keep the peace.
War is an extreme step, and the absolute last, irrevocable, and disaster ridden, response.
So other countries should keep their collective fingers crossed, and maintain a steady course.

On balance, I think the UN General Assembly got it right.
Their democratic decision was the correct one?
Nothing will be gained by banishment.
And bear in mind, it is just the leadership group which is the problem, not the country at large.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Wednesday, 13 April 2022 12:20:51 PM
Ipso Fatso said- "On balance, I think the UN General Assembly got it right. Their democratic decision was the correct one? Nothing will be gained by banishment. And bear in mind, it is just the leadership group which is the problem, not the country at large."

Answer- The UN is not a democratic organization but democracy doesn't really work. All you can hope to do is give nations and groups a sandpit of freedom of sovereignty. It's not just the leadership- As in The Matrix those that are not unplugged are potentially agents.

But at least Ipso Fatso appears to be trying to honestly analyze the problems
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 13 April 2022 12:31:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy