The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Asset of democracy > Comments

Asset of democracy : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 6/4/2022

A considerable majority of us will express our profound disgust with a decaying political establishment that has long since ceased to serve our nation. We will vote in huge numbers for candidates who do not belong to a political party.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
While I agree with the sentiment that people are disillusioned with political leaders, the evidence does not support the prediction of a hung parliament with independents holding the balance of power. All the polls show a strong swing against the government and a likely Labor win. Labor may not even need the support of the Greens in the lower house.

The biggest factor at play is that the main conservative parties have deserted their base and gone "moderate". They deserve the same treatment as they got from the voters of South Australia.

As for the "independents", I think the voters have now sussed them out.
Posted by Bren, Wednesday, 6 April 2022 8:40:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It has been a while since we heard from Mr. Compton, but he still thinks that he knows it all: "A considerable majority of us will express our profound disgust with a decaying political ….".

I wish I could say that, but being a mere mortal, I only know how I will be voting. Besides, given our preferential voting system, most of our votes will still end up with the two main "decaying" parties. And hung parliaments are not such a bad thing. The born-to-rule boneheads are terrified of them.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 April 2022 9:44:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To make things even murkier and less predictable, it seems that the Australian Christian Lobby intends to put candidates up against the wets who crossed the floor to stop the religious discrimination bill from passing. The 'Christian' PM has lost the Christian vote, along with all the others he has lost for moving so far away his party's base. What fun!
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 April 2022 9:55:33 AM
I agree, Everald. But I don't feel we are confronting a hung parliament this time round. In fact if the Morrison government is retuned, it will be stack with "Morrison" candidates.

And a more educated and erudite electorate is aware of that and any future implications!

That being so, the independents will surge in popularity and numbers in the house. And mostly at the expense of a deeply unpopular coalition.

I see the greens doing better as well, again mostly at the expense of Morrison's coalition.

Labor under Elbow, could improve their representation, given Elbow is one of a handful of authentic leaders we've seen over the centuries.

I see, how to vote cards being trashed without being read this time, as most of us have already decided who we will vote for.

I also see a record turnout of young voters getting out to vote, with climate change and the need to end our reliance on fossil fuels, front and centre for that demographic!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 April 2022 10:04:42 AM
You are probably right Alan.

Just when Germany & the UK governments have finally admitted to themselves that wind & solar can never be a reliable source of electricity,& gone back to coal & nuclear, our kids, brainwashed by the rather dumb type of girls who go into teaching today, could cause us to make the same damn stupid power generation mistakes both of them, & South Australia have made.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 6 April 2022 12:13:43 PM
I think democracy works most of the time.
The majority of australians are clear thinking and able to make decisions.
But holding those we elect to account can be a problem.
Investigative Journalism assists us with this to a large extent.

Ideally, we would 'interview' prospective local candidates, and assess their suitablility.
In practice, we rely on others to do that for us.
We assume that the candidates have been vetted thoroughly.
We are led to believe we are voting for a reliable and competent person.
In practice, the procedure frequently fails to provide us with good candidates.

When selecting who to vote for, we should avoid those with 'advertised religious leanings'.
Religion and the state MUST be kept separate.
If I remember correctly, JFK had to make a public declaration that he would make 'neutral' decisions, and not let his religious views intrude in to (his) public office.
Making decisons based on (current) merit and practicality is far better than having them allied to ideas belonging in the dark depths of history.

We will probably end up voting along party lines, even though doing so has serious drawbacks?
To get our vote, a party will need to have demonstrated adherence to principles we find desirable?
(how it deals with climate change etc)
Things like this should be our main concern?

Anyway, with all its warts and blemishes, I still think our democracy serves us well.
We are far better with it than without it.
It could do with a bit of a 'tune-up' though?
In any case, the coming election will show us how australia is really thinking?
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Wednesday, 6 April 2022 12:57:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy