The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Has hydrogen’s time arrived? > Comments

Has hydrogen’s time arrived? : Comments

By Tom Biegler, published 3/3/2022

Some advocates seem to think that producing hydrogen by electrolysis will make it cheaper than the present product 'grey hydrogen' made from natural gas. That looks improbable.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Green hydrogen? Red for danger is more appropriate.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 3 March 2022 8:54:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Green hydrogen flies in the face of the so-called Net Energy Cliff which says that a modern economy needs very high yielding energy sources. True that oil products have a low well to wheels efficiency but they had accumulated over hundreds of millions of years, not made a few days before in an electrolyser.

The Feds seem to have hydrogen intoxication. They have bought electrolysers for both of Australia's steel mills and asked them to come with something special. I suspect a decade from now not much will have happened but hope lives on.
Posted by Taswegian, Thursday, 3 March 2022 9:26:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>Some advocates seem to think that producing hydrogen by electrolysis will make it cheaper
>than the present product "grey hydrogen" made from natural gas. That looks improbable.

It only looks improbable because of the assumptions you're making. With more reasonable assumptions (only using cheap electricity) it's almost a certainty, particularly if natural gas prices stay as high as they currently are.

>Over time there has naturally been progress in raising these efficiencies. For example
>PEM electrolysers are said to run at efficiencies up to around 70%

Elsewhere I've previously queried figures which implied a 79% rating, which I thought was unrealistically high. But I was informed not only that it wasn't, but that "The industry target for 2030 is to achieve 86% conversion efficiency based on Nickel electrodes, which is likely. Lab systems have achieved 94% conversion efficiency but Platinum, Iridium, Palladium etc. are all no go due to cost and scarcity."
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 3 March 2022 9:59:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I could build a simple gravity operated system that made hydrogen via electrolysis for vertualy no cost! All I'd need would be permanent water source And as a homemade solution that could power almost anything. Albeit, one would have to stuff some steel wool into the air intake to make it work for most engines.

Other than that, biogas(i.e. methane) is just as easily made using a two tank system and locally produced organic waste, Manure, sewerage etc. Where simple bacteria do all the work and produce an endless supply of methane for almost nothing after the system was built.

It's time Mr Putin was put back in his box and the world freed from this madman's control, via our energy purchases! Moreover, these simple solutions would require some manufacturing, plus increased local steel production and jobs, jobs, jobs!

There is no infernal combustion engine that will not run on compressed methane!

Only gormless pollies and their personal energy investments stand in the way of change to homemade solutions that replace all imported energy products?

Were this not so? The above solutions would already exist and in spades and at every refilling station.

Electrification of the economy as the obvious alternative, requires the adoption of nuclear power ASAP. To believe otherwise is self delusional!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 3 March 2022 11:02:40 AM
Hydrogen production via electrolysis averages around 40% A catalyis improves that to around 80%. I understand that a catalyis changes the reaction without becoming part of it.

Nuclear power will enable the production of alternative fuel and fertilizer from inexhaustable seawater!

So, let's do what we always do, sit on our hands waiting for someone else to do it for us! Perhaps Mr Putin or his energy baron cronies will oblige? While a quivering Mr Morrison bellows his volumous protests?

After all, that sums up the government's input to date into the current energy crisis? If hot air could run the economy, then Canberra could run the nation?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 3 March 2022 11:36:25 AM
Alan B.,
The problem is that nuclear power is expensive. It's been promising to become cheap for decades, but it never has. Meanwhile the cost of soar power has dropped enormously.

Taswegian,
Whether it takes a few days or millions of years, you know the Net Energy Cliff hypothesis is discredited. Not that it's relevant here anyway, as the energy is produced by solar cells and wind turbines anyway.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 3 March 2022 1:28:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy