The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why be joyful at Christmas? > Comments

Why be joyful at Christmas? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 22/12/2021

The celebration of the birth of Christ brings with it the possibility of a changed world.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Christmas.
An underwhelming, capitalistic, time and money wasting period of the year.
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 22 December 2021 12:37:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am joyful because I’m a cancer survivor when others have not been so lucky. December is a sad month also as both my parents died then, and I miss my family overseas at Christmas.
Many moons ago, I marvelled at snowdrops in the snow and will never forget that moment, definitely joyful. Also the Girl Guides/Sunday school parties and I’m pleased to see them here still, where I live.
Posted by RunninRib, Wednesday, 22 December 2021 2:04:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter Sellick - posted Wednesday, 22 December 2021, writes: "For us adults it has become a bit of a burden of compulsory parties, problematic gift purchases and stale sentiment. Still, the children enjoy it. Such is the secular Christmas."

It seems you can never let an opportunity slip by without your desiccated imagination inventing worst possible scenarios for comparison with your own lugubrious cerebral pathology. That you accost those immune to your contagion demonstrates a treatable pathology, yet here we have you declaring that it is the uninfected and the immune who are sick!

Much of Earth's population has inherited the millennia-old celebration of the northern hemisphere's winter solstice. And as one of your holiest celebrations approaches you seize the opportunity to reveal a poverty of charity and goodwill that up to the advent of your post had been so redolent of religious admonition.

My own recollection of a secular christmas is one of the joy of seeing again infrequently seen relatives, loved grandparents etc, etc. As the years took them away, we began an annual gathering at a backyard BBQ of friends. At 84 I recall widespread laughter as reminiscences rose to the surface. I won't waste time with paragraphs of memories and re-telling of humorous experiences. No tedium of compulsory parties, cubic meters of "stale sentiment" hovering. Enthusiasm and expectation were never a burden.(continued)
Posted by Pogi, Thursday, 23 December 2021 4:25:44 AM
(continued) In revealing your own experiences of secular celebrations you reveal much of your own attitude toward your fellow humans, your joyless determination not to let go once a year within a life full of stricture and unquestioning allegiance to a phantom in the sky who made you drenched in sin. I'm quite certain attenders at any secular gathering would be glad to witness the departure of such a joyless person as yourself from among them.

So many of my/our friends have gone now. My wife and I will be celebrating, just the two of us. Covid ensures the great majority will be sharing our situation. But it is the children who will not be quite so happy for a second year (at least).

You seem to have reached the limit of what religion faith can teach you as a member of the human species. There is much more awaiting you
And while your bitterness toward the secular is found in so many religious sects and you find it necessary to denigrate my way of life in order to promote your own, you will remain in the eyes of many to be devoid of grace, charity and goodwill, nevertheless I suffer no inhibition in wishing you peace, good health and happiness in 2022 and beyond. Lack of reciprocity will not be disappointing for it is not expected.
Posted by Pogi, Thursday, 23 December 2021 4:32:23 AM

Dear Peter,

You wrote :

« But alas, as the Church declines and most of the population are in ignorance of its basis, we are gradually returning to the pagan ways in which self-interest dominates our actions, the poor are blamed for their poverty and the divide between rich and poor has become a chasm »

If only the story of Jesus were true, Peter, things would be different.

That was 2021 years ago, and still nothing.

It seems so long ago …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7vbH3Yzz0Q&ab_channel=IQQIQQI

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Thursday, 23 December 2021 8:34:28 AM
Pogi,
Feel better?
Posted by Sells, Friday, 24 December 2021 9:47:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy