The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Patriotic snitch: Bob Hawke as US informant > Comments

Patriotic snitch: Bob Hawke as US informant : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 7/9/2021

In June, a rather unremarkable revelation was made that Hawke had been something of an errand boy for the US imperium, a spiller of the beans and something of what Australians would call a 'dobber'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
And, so what? He supported the US, good move Bob given some of the loonies in Labor at the time.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 7 September 2021 8:22:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The man's dead. There are plenty of live scoundrels to complain about. Even though Hawke was Labor, and his private life and drinking were nothing to write home about , he deserves to be remembered as one of our better PMs - he actually had beliefs and values.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 7 September 2021 8:37:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My contempt for Hawk followed by Keating, holds no bounds, as they say.

It’s hard to disguise the word “drunk”.

Between the two, aspirations of the working classes were lowered to the level of casual shifts at Maccas, and a business model of coffee shop proprietor.

Another pair of traitors that missed their calling and final moment against a brick wall in front of a firing squad, as productive entertainment for the public before the Saturday football match.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 7 September 2021 8:49:13 AM
diver,
>Between the two, aspirations of the working classes were lowered to the level
>of casual shifts at Maccas, and a business model of coffee shop proprietor.

How so?
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 7 September 2021 11:37:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bob Hawke remains one of Australia's most
beloved leaders. He achieved so much during
his tenure as PM. He launched Australia's
first affordable, universal system of health
insurance, struck an industrial relations
agreement with unions, outlawed gender
discrimination in the workplace, passed a law
that enabled the government to protect world heritage
sites from threatening actions. He revolutionized
the Australian economy, and much more.

He was a staunch ally of the United States - but
looked after our interests first and foremost.

And he was valued and respected by them.

A US informant? Nah, not our Bob! He knew how to play
the game to our advantage - not theirs.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 7 September 2021 11:43:38 AM
Aidan

Since it appears you wish to contradict my opinion, the obligation is on you to prove your own point, not for me to defend my own conclusions based on close personal experiences applicable to my own life.

The floor is yours.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 7 September 2021 12:05:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy