The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > UN should start focusing on the Jordan-Israel two-state solution > Comments

UN should start focusing on the Jordan-Israel two-state solution : Comments

By David Singer, published 1/7/2021

United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres was at it again this week repeating the failed decades-old UN mantra supposed to end the 100 years old Jewish-Arab conflict.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Dave, Israel is the meeting point of three major religions. Address that reality first.
There has never been peace in that region for thousands of years, not a hundred as you erroneously imply.

The Arabs held this ground for over six hundred years, since the abysmal failure of the Crusaders to change things, right up to 1917.

Pack up and come home Dave.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 1 July 2021 10:03:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A two-state solution has only ever been the only game in town! That has a snowflakes chance in hell of ever ending centuries-long conflict!

Now that the Emperor, Nethanyahu, has been dethroned! It may have a chance of succeeding?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 1 July 2021 12:19:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apparently there is some 100-years-old Jewish-Arab conflict going on, which the author wishes to solve, but that conflict is not happening in the Middle-East where reality is quite different, but in Western institutions such as universities and the United-Nations.

Fair enough, then let this conflict be solved where it rages, in the West, but leave poor Israel and Jordan out of it!

Jordan does not want that cursed territory or any part thereof - and I understand them very well. Their king is wise!

Israel is internally split about its occupation of that cursed territory which causes it enormous damage.

And no wonder, as the author mentioned, the PLO and Palestinians have no wish to control that cursed territory either. Why would they?

So if there are any idiots whom I don't care about, who want to stick their nose in that stink, then so be it, let them. I do however care for the good people of Israel and Jordan.

Apparently there seem to be such idiots, certain Jews especially, who want to own the West Bank - to them I say: "Ahalan Wasahalan" (Arabic: Welcome), come and live there yourself, do what you like in there, but leave Israel alone to lick its wounds from its ruinous 1967 occupation, nor punish Jordan who need nothing to do with it.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 1 July 2021 12:39:35 PM
Probably right, Yuyustu. But see no harm in an honest broker providing for all the protagonists, a safe space, to hammer out an agreement all can live with?

And then have the blue helmets in to assure it has a fighting chance!

I'd imagine that they would need to be part of the scenery for a decade just to allow "the heat" to disipate?

Other than that? Want to see the west involved as much as a hole in the head!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 1 July 2021 6:07:53 PM
#Diver

A two-state solution - Israel and Jordan - has existed since 1948 in 95% of the land comprised in the League of Nations Mandate for Palestine.

The UN’s attempt to create third state in the remaining 5% for the first time in recorded history has reached a dead end after failed attempts spreading over the last 74 years.

Dividing up that 5% between Israel and Jordan is the only solution that can now be realistically pursued.

#Yuyutsu

The "cursed territory" of which you speak was occupied by Jordan between 1948 and 1967 - and would have so continued until today had Jordan not entered the Six Day War in 1967 after being warned by Israel to keep out of that war.

The Arab citizens of that "cursed territory" enjoyed Jordanian citizenship from 1950 to 1988 and elected their own representatives to the Jordanian parliament.

The "good people of Jordan and Israel" signed a peace treaty in 1994 which stills survives until today despite many occasions when it could have been ripped up.

Jordan's return to part of "the cursed territory" - especially that part in which its ex-Jordanian Arab residents form a majority of the population - is long overdue.

Jordan became part of the problem between 1922-1967. It needs to be part of the solution in 2021.

The King is a fool if he continues his opposition to a Jordan-Israel solution.

BTW I never said: "the PLO and Palestinians have no wish to control that cursed territory either." That was their position from 1964-1968. It changed however after Jordan lost that "cursed territory" to Israel in 1967. One could reasonably expect the PLO would be pressured by the Arab League to go back to its 1964-1968 position if Jordan were again to return and occupy parts of "the cursed territory" in an agreed partition deal with Israel.

#Alan B

Send in the "Blue Helmets" if they can contribute to maintaining the peace under a signed agreement between Israel and Jordan that finally carves up 100% of the land contained in the Mandate for Palestine.
Posted by david singer, Friday, 2 July 2021 8:23:55 AM
Dear David,

«The "cursed territory" of which you speak was occupied by Jordan between 1948 and 1967 - and would have so continued until today had Jordan not entered the Six Day War in 1967 after being warned by Israel to keep out of that war.»

Very true and it makes me suspect that this was a premeditated strategy by Jordan, who unable to beat Israel on the battlefield, laid that poisonous trap to corrupt it from within. Otherwise, if it was not premeditated, then I would say that they were just lucky.

«Jordan became part of the problem between 1922-1967. It needs to be part of the solution in 2021.»

Fortunately, the Jordanians and their wise king consider what is good for their own, rather than what benefits David Singer.
I wish Israel did the same.

«BTW I never said: "the PLO and Palestinians have no wish to control that cursed territory either." That was their position from 1964-1968. It changed however after Jordan lost that "cursed territory" to Israel in 1967.»

Fair enough, this could mean that along with the cursed territory those stupid "Palestinians" lost their mind as well.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 2 July 2021 9:39:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy