The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's unconstitutional border wars > Comments

Australia's unconstitutional border wars : Comments

By Sukrit Sabhlok, published 1/2/2021

There are many reasons to question the interstate border shenanigans that have stopped Australians from returning home, divided families and sparked animosity among state premiers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If this is true, then Australia is no longer a democracy and we are ruled by a bunch of thugs. The spirit of the Chinese Communist Party is already with us.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 1 February 2021 7:47:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Part of the problem is a "I want to be liked" prime minister" who disappears ever time there is a problem. If it was John Howard, a pandemic would have been declared a national emergency with a national response. Instead we now have a fragmented community with 'border wars'. The author is right. The states need to either succeed or not close their borders.
Posted by hospas, Monday, 1 February 2021 7:53:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent article, thank you.

The high court case was appalling, How did we get here that even the people support the balkanization of the nation and ignoring its returning citizens. What value is there in a nation when this stupidity is not only allowed but encouraged ? It's particularity egregious to see citizens supporting the destruction of the nation and then reinforcing those terrible decisions with extra votes for the politicians that do it. Voters, like scared little children huddling in the dark wanting mummy or daddy premier to scare the boogie man away.

The federal Government shoudl withhold all GST payments to any state that closed its borders . It shoudl also instruct the Central Bank to cease purchasing any debt from the states that believe they are not part of the nation (currently being done as part of the QE program).

This was the most appalling display I have ever seen by people of the disparate states of Australia, the QLD Govt was elected with an increased majority because of this. I don't blame the premiers, I blame the voters who supported these terrible actions, shame on you. Just reinforces why I am so ashamed of being Australian.
Posted by Valley Guy, Monday, 1 February 2021 7:58:43 AM
ummm, Australia is a federation.

State governments have rights and powers, as does the Federal govt.

When there are disputes, a govt can take the issue to the High Court.

Section 109 will be utilised to decide whether Commonwealth law will prevail.

But don't expect a High Court to over rule state rights on an important health issue where borders may count.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 1 February 2021 8:13:37 AM
So, now Viruses are to be expected to conform to bureaucratic nonsense & the whims of the indisciplined ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 1 February 2021 8:22:00 AM
I'm not at all sure that the high court would agree with the author's questionable interpretation of the constitution? And to call a difference of opinion, a border war, demonstrates how much he/she overplays, his/her hand!

I'd call it C.R.A.P. but that would be much too much generous praise and then some! Da?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 1 February 2021 10:14:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy