The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > NDIS: 10 years on > Comments

NDIS: 10 years on : Comments

By Vern Hughes, published 7/12/2020

Despite, or perhaps because of, the limited knowledge of disability by policy makers, politicians, and journalists, the scheme was widely seized upon as a 'solution'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yes. And people all around the country are saying, "I told you so". What a flop! There is more moaning and groaning and genuine complaints from affected or interested people than there were before this amazingly costly abomination was let loose on people it was supposed to help.

What on earth made people think that a scheme thought up by "career bureaucrats" and paid for by taxpayers was going to work! The longest "gravy train" ever.

"... politicians need to grow a spine and begin speaking honestly about a scheme they know to be excessively bureaucratic and costly".

Fat chance of that happening. Too many self-serving thugs involved.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 7 December 2020 8:11:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here is a bloke who knows what he is talking about.
If ever there was a gravy train for service providers this one absolutely takes the prize.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 7 December 2020 8:27:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's in vogue to bash the NDIS as another groaning bureaucracy as though it replaced something better, the "natural" or "familial" supports. Let's get real and understand that before the NDIS there was NO support system for families with a disabled member. If you gave birth to a disabled child in the 60s,70s or 80s, as I did, the Australian plan was that you looked after that child till you died and encouraged a sibling to take over the care. Previous generations of disabled people failed to live good quality lives and their parents did likewise. Now the NDIS has given hundreds of thousands of Australians the freedom and independence to meet potential. When you count the cost in dollars, remember the workforce of carers, mostly migrant, who are contributing to the economy. Remember the parents, especially the women, who, unlike me, will enjoy fulfilling careers. Then remember the PWD who have found jobs with support from the NDIS. Certainly, we need to encourage more self management, especially for SIL packages and we need to forget the proposed "independent assessments" currently mooted. Out here in disability land, we give the NDIS 9 out of 10 and urge it to keep working at the final 10%.
Posted by estelles, Monday, 7 December 2020 11:02:18 AM
The NDIS system works well.
Every two years the disabled person and his family representative
meet with the NDIS officer and discuss the needs.
After that the family representative can shop around for a service
provider for daily activities and for employment arrangements for
such organisations that run workshops or cleaning services etc.
Once such organisations are engaged from the list of approved service
providers the budget is approved and invoices from the service
providers is entered into the NDIS web site via the mygov.gov.au portal
and the money appears in the bank the next morning.

It works like a clock and is very efficient and personal at their
help site are knowlegible and can almost always explain a problem.

People complaining always seem to not understand the system and have
not had a meeting with NDIS.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 7 December 2020 11:16:30 AM
This scheme is a dog's breakfast that has way too many chiefs and not enough Indians, in my view.

And the system, therefore, is top-heavy with administration al commercial premises etc-etc.

This needs root and branch reform and a complete makeover to individual providers working from home to service the one group bubble of clientele.

And need to be qualified and win their contracts in an open transparent tender!

Admin such as is required, needs to be mentally able, disabled!

And that's where the rubber needs to hit the road.

We cannot allow this scheme to morph into a gamed cash grab by shonks and Landlords! And instead, reform it so the bulk of the funds are directed at the coal face and individual qualified providers working from home!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 7 December 2020 12:55:58 PM
The first thing we should do is cut the gravy train for equipment suppliers.

I recently bought a large mobility scooter. Big 17" wheels & independent suspension, it is capable of some real work. It cost me $2299, plus $300 delivery. I found the supplier easily on the net.

I also found the same item from a company stating they are an NDIS registered provider for $5,750 plus unquoted delivery.

So for over double the price I could have got the same thing from a "PREFERRED" NDIS supplier.

The NDIS was Gillard's revenge on the tax payer for not loving her, & aren't the poor long suffering taxpayer paying for it in spades.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 7 December 2020 6:12:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy