The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The art of helpful communication > Comments

The art of helpful communication : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 1/12/2020

So much of what I read is biased in this way or that, and I find I have to wade through the exaggeration to get to the point.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thank you, Don, your articles are always like deep breaths of fresh air, and always stimulating.

In relation to your posing of evidence against persuasion, I'm very concerned that the extremes are so much easier to write from than from the centre. For example, Cardinal Pell was found 'not guilty' of offences, but if one doesn't like Pell (and I don't particularly), then one will denigrate the verdict. As it happens, I'll go along with the verdict, since I concede that evidence is more powerful than stance.

Similarly, if one believes that Trump is an incompetent, corrupt and contemptible fraud (as I do), then if any evidence were ever available that he isn't, it's very likely that it wouldn't be believed. More than likely, it wouldn't even be examined, but written off immediately as the product of delusion and simple-mindedness.

Evidence is what counts, so in a sense, we should all try to be 'wise judges', and be ready to cop the slings and arrows from both extremist sides. It doesn't win you friends but there's already far too much paranoia in the world, even a touch of 'end of days' at both extremes. But the world will plug along, imperfect, unfinished, conflicted, contradictory and amazing.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Tuesday, 1 December 2020 11:01:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don, I believe the patently biased opinion is all yours and indeed much of the alleged exaggeration.

I don't see what you are claiming from the material that you read. Instead, I see a coal lobbyist, cherry-picking his way through material that mirrors a particular climate-change denialist confirmation bias.

The art of helpful communication, I believe, should be rewritten as the art of cleverly concealed spin. Not that the latter is any part of your particular, self-evident, skill set?

You'll have a nice day now y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 1 December 2020 12:28:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why not check out this reference: Global Spin The Corporate Assault On Environmentalism (1997)

http://documents.uow.edu.au/~sharonb/global.html
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 2 December 2020 9:32:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good communication is only possible when communicating with someone with sense & a healthy mentality.
Our resident OLO debate derailers prove that point in almost every thread !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 3 December 2020 7:33:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy