The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Local communities in a big, tough world > Comments

Local communities in a big, tough world : Comments

By Judy Cannon, published 29/8/2005

Judy Cannon argues the United Nations can boast a remarkable list of achievements over the last 60 years.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The main problem with the United Nations is that there is as of now no world sovereignty; for example the people of Australia have not ceded any powers over themselves to the United Nations and that for Australia the supreme law remains the Constitution of the Commonwealth, something that can only be altered by referendum. This constitution gives no power to politicians to cede powers to any other entity. There is no world army, and the UN peacekeeping forces are often recruited from jails (cf Bulgaria). The only way the world will be united is when we are facing an alien external force, such as the Martians.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 29 August 2005 1:33:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Judy, and the writer before me; the United Nations is in an extremely difficult position and this put us (all) in a difficult position, in legal terms.

What we need from Governments world wide is "servomechanis";

1. A feedback system that consists of a live sensing element, an amplifier, and a (two-way) servo-control-device.

2. A self-regulating feedback system, (to replace the mono-system). One that by principal, is transparent about the real issues concerning society. (Good Governance and Transparency)

For example information on statistics must to be properly researched and identified. Statistics must be made more visible, before public officials, agencies,corporations and the public.

The promotion of autocratic selective and oppressive mechanisms, must be stopped!

At present there are too many "invisibles" operating, and it is part of the worlds "us and them" problem. It appears in almost all organised institutionalised cultures, including some of the favored NGOs.

I agree with the prime theme specified by the panel that; "given today's mix of forces, such as international corporations, globalisation and terrorism - where in the world does this leave the individual, or for that matter, the communities in which we all live?"

This phenomenon is serious in both the developed and under-developed world. The story is dramatised through crime, health, war - TV soap movies, yet not, transferred as an active knowledge, empowered by governments, who represent the people these stories disclose.

Why, is the lead story here, through the Seoul Declaration?

Good Governance and Transparency smacks at the heart of the all nations when the analysis investigates the break-down of civic engagement. i.e.: Agenda 21 Principal One: "Development must be socially just".

I believe it is those living in all under-developed regions, those disconnected, throughout the whole world, who are wearing the brunt.

No government or small institution agency gets off on this one, unless you audit it typical, and merely by a matter of degree.

Join the "Get Involved Discussions" happening on the 2005 World Summit. I have a list of links, including this one, on my webpage, find miacat .com

Maria Altmann.
www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Monday, 29 August 2005 4:38:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mia

If you are working in Cape York Peninsula, and are engaged in social change, I STRONGLY advise you to consider the following article of great importance:

http://www.anthroprof.org/documents/Docs102/102articles/steelAxes.pdf

It relates to the Yir Yoront, and how the introduction of just one simple tool the Steel Axe, destroyed them.

Cheers
BOAZ
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 30 August 2005 9:09:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy