The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On television advertising > Comments

On television advertising : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 2/10/2020

Over the past few months I have become more and more aware of, interested even, in what passes for advertising on our commercial TV channels, and on the SBS as well.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Not much interest here, Don. Albeit, one or two got a big belly laughs from me.

Choosi etc, really bugs me, It's not free, given they earn commissions that reflect the end price the mug consumer pays for the product or service.

My free to air entertainment is limited to the footy or Cricket where I can take the audio from commercial-free service and the video from the free to air. Plus the occassional ABC mini-series.

Then I fire up the DVD player.

When I want to purchase something? I get on line and check out the options. And usually succeed in saving 50-75%. And have the product delivered to the door. So most of the commercials are wasted on me, save, I'm able to compare and contrast prices and value for money.

I believe we need to be more circumspect with what we buy and how much we charge to the credit card, given the depression I see coming. And a visionless, divided, reactive government doing too little too late.

Just one glimmer of hope for me here and in the U.S.A. And that finally is, we have nuclear power now officially part of the available energy mix!

And the lifting by Donald trump of R+D into thorium and its children, one of which is the miracle cancer cure, bismuth 213.

Bismuth 213 could enable that nation that makes it as a virtually free byproduct of MSR thorium, nuclear power. A medical tourist industry that could be in annual millions and turbocharge regional and rural economies. Rural and regional airlines, hotel and motel chains.

Given the therapy can be done in hours in day clinics. And the patients then convalesce in hotels and motels as they await the usually, conclusive, all clear reports, or the need for (a) follow-up treatment(s). And where they'd be a captive Audience for the tourist industry, touting this or that once in a lifetime, Australian Info-docu/attraction that they could include in their itinerary.

Take care and stay safe.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 2 October 2020 10:32:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have tried to get this topic off the ground several times but no takers. Hopefully Alan B has more success.
TV programming is one of my favourite gripes. Beyond the point of saturation, Australian TV saturation advertising & just as insane saturation of promos is nothing short of utter insanity !
Are these programmers so in the pockets of companies that they forfeit sanity for money ? It certainly looks that way.
I have not the slightest doubt that this insanity is the cause of domestic disputes as the disruption to programmes is enough to drive even the thickest of thick viewers p the wall.
I actually find the promos way worse than plain commercials. At times, they play the same promo or commercial twice in a row.
The present board in charge of programming standards needs sacking on the spot !
Posted by individual, Friday, 2 October 2020 11:13:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I threw my television out the back door during the unprovoked torture by gay rights and their misdirected gay marriage campaign.
At the same time coincidentally, the ABC and I also parted company indefinitely for the same reason!

What a completely joyous life it is without television: But I’d forgotten the lessons I learned about television and the stupid that it always was, from the time of its introduction in the fifties.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 2 October 2020 12:38:50 PM
The programs on most commercial TV make the ads look good. Appealing to the bottom feeders and bogans. In a half hour program you get 15 minutes of ads. What about those blokes with the underpants! I mostly watch our ABC and SBS and their associated channels, good for news and other quality programs of interest.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 2 October 2020 9:00:35 PM
Australian TV programmers should be charged with mentality terrorism along with many in Education !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 3 October 2020 7:27:32 AM
You said it, Don, almost random.
Posted by Steve S, Saturday, 3 October 2020 9:36:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy