The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The risks of working from home > Comments

The risks of working from home : Comments

By Keith Suter, published 10/7/2020

A bigger concern is, first, that people will be missing out on the office interactions. Office politics can be poisonous and time-wasting. But the politics is part of office life.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Last night on news, we were told that employers are begging people to come back to work in the office. Hopefully we have heard the last of the chuntering on about working from home being the "new normal".
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 10 July 2020 9:15:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The risks of working from home are quite massively outweighed by returning to a crowded office and shared facilities!

And where the corporate psychotics are robbed of their best ideas, and victims to blame when their very own irrational, original ideas, go pear-shaped!

And consequently, risk being exposed as the quite gross incompetents they really are!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 10 July 2020 11:33:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The corporate psychotics/control freaks want their co-workers back as soon as possible, so they can get back to the business as usual borrowing and or claiming the ideas of others as their own, even as they reduce those whose ideas they have confiscated are reduced to tears by the bully boy abuse of these power junkies!

And risk being exposed for who and what they are, minus the cohort of their co-workers!

And may be chaffing on the bit to get the source of their best ideas and kudos, back in the office and performing?

So they won't be exposed!

That's the real and biggest risk!

As for mental health Good music that gets you swinging or singing along as you work, is good therapy and not something most would be comfortable with at the office!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 10 July 2020 11:49:21 AM
If I go into the office I do Monday to Friday 40 hours a week.

Been working at home since end of March and been working 7 days a week sometimes to midnight. At home I'm doing a lot more hours at a lower pay rate.

Who's the winner: me or my employer? You do the math.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 10 July 2020 12:47:05 PM
Hi A;lan,

Tokenism is a fascinating topic: in 1977 Rosabeth Moss Kanter published "Men and Women of the Corporation" and, from memory, she remarked that when a woman made a suggestion, she might be ignored as if she wasn't even present, then someone of a different gender would put forward the same idea and it would be hailed and lauded, with the copier gaining more rapid promotion.

Janis Yoder expanded on this:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/2786708.pdf?casa_token=4M6ZWL-7t5cAAAAA:6IJAqlYlOp-oeoBPPRi2p6OSh8gD0JaARPDFXCWLfRZXw4WSuykUwGV1HuXG85M9hRo2wZafYmdHGsAOlcAnZEcfHgxcxhKzF8zH6NokSTJbZAjJ37Z08w

and this was followed by many interesting papers such as:

http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF02885753.pdf

I hope that some of these practices have been well and truly exposed over the last forty years or so.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 10 July 2020 1:41:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LOUDmouth,

It's all just part of a planned corporate incentive program that is common practice in business and management circles.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 10 July 2020 2:00:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy