The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Recovering from the fiscal side-effects of COVID-19 > Comments

Recovering from the fiscal side-effects of COVID-19 : Comments

By Tony Makin, published 19/6/2020

The easing of monetary and credit conditions was fully warranted and aspects of the fiscal response targeting firms and private sector employment, the JobSeeker program in particular, also had merit.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Do you mean recovering from the economic action/vandalism of Scott Morrison?.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 19 June 2020 10:17:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think there is little doubt that the Australian governments had little option but to do what they did to help Australians manage to live through the COVID pandemic. Therefore, I agree with the author's initial premise; however, the second stage of the recovery will be a balancing act in seeing us through the prolonged unemployment of many Australians, which will have to be accompanied by funding of infrastructure and building skills to grow Australian independence, while reducing steadily the debt built up from tax receipts flowing from a much higher level of exports than we presently have. Thus, government and private investment must be directed towards more productive industries, and those which have a better chance of survival in the 22nd century.
Posted by Cyclone, Friday, 19 June 2020 1:33:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
They could have saved a lot of money by not giving all those already on welfare the two lots of $750. My expenses have actually been less because I have not had to put fuel in my vehicle. One might be forgiven for thinking that there is an election in the offing.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 19 June 2020 4:05:39 PM
I would appreciate an explanation as to why US Federal Reserve money injection leads to a falling US dollar, but Australian Government spending (financed by the Reserve Bank) leads to a rising Australian Dollar. Sounds contradictory
Posted by Renard, Friday, 19 June 2020 4:28:32 PM
Recovery ? Will that be before the second wave of COVID-19 or after ?
With the World's debt being three times the World's GDP, Recovery might be just a little too hopeful a word to use.
Draining swamps & bringing Public Service salaries down somewhat would do more than any incentive package !
Posted by individual, Friday, 19 June 2020 5:34:47 PM
Individual

'Draining swamps & bringing Public Service salaries down somewhat would do more than any incentive package !'

Campbell Newman is the only pollie I know who had the intestinal fortitude to do that. A massive backlash from unions, universities, abc and every other sucker of the public purse saw him kicked out. No wonder so many choose useless arts degrees that give them the sick ideology and often incompetence to work in the public service.
Posted by runner, Friday, 19 June 2020 5:52:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy