The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The demise of Australia’s public broadcaster into 'their scary ABC' > Comments

The demise of Australia’s public broadcaster into 'their scary ABC' : Comments

By Charles Essery, published 20/5/2020

I now watch SBS (and Sky and international channels) more these days than the ABC because it aims to operate by its charter.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Quite so!

We are now used to our scary ABC with its daily pushing of its pet causes: "man-made" global warming, campaigning for all asylum seekers to be let stay, demonising of Trump etc. In the face of a public broadcaster with scarcely concealed championing of left-wing causes, our Government does not have the balls to force the ABC to present a diversity of viewpoints.

The only consolation is that ABC Classic FM (by its nature) is largely free of political comment
Posted by Bren, Wednesday, 20 May 2020 9:03:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ABC no more biased than other media organisations, but they should not surive on high levels of government funding.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 20 May 2020 9:08:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is nothing new to be said about the ABC. None of the governments we keep electing simply because there is nothing else available will ever have the guts to cut it loose from taxpayer funding. Our only defence from the outdated organisation is to ignore it.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 20 May 2020 9:16:50 AM
ABC no more biased than others.... Hmmm that means they are in breach of their own taxpayer funded charter and should have their funding removed for breach of contract.

They are the national broadcaster, not any other commercial business. BIG Difference their Chris!
Posted by Alison Jane, Wednesday, 20 May 2020 9:36:52 AM
Yes, that is why they should rely much more on their own funding.

While i do believe the ABC should get some assistance as the public broadcaster, i have long thought that its funding should be reduced as it was biased.

I have an upcoming ABC piece on OLO, assuming it gets published.

Here is a piece i did for IPA 2016.

https://ipa.org.au/ipa-review-articles/sell-the-abc
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 20 May 2020 10:01:38 AM
Bird's fur, horse feathers and bah humbug! The ABC tells we are one are all in this together and is a source of unlike sky etc, a source of accurate and unlike the Author and his Sky etc, doesn't seek to marginalise or politicise a pandemic!!

Furthermore, His sky etc., could be a force that unites us and promotes bipartisan pragmatism/cooperative capitalism and the cleanest, safest cheapest energy in the world as the only serious way out! Instead, like moronic wind-up robots unable to comprehend the outcomes, seek as always to divide and conquer!

Because, like Pavlov's dogs, that's how they and I suspect, the Author is programmed?

I get that they don't like the ABC and their usual unbiased factual reporting and fact-checking! Hence this claptrap, [shoot yourself in the foot,] crap!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 20 May 2020 11:23:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy