The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Coronavirus lockdown: we need our freedom now more than ever > Comments

Coronavirus lockdown: we need our freedom now more than ever : Comments

By Edmund Baha, published 12/5/2020

In the past few weeks, all around the world, governments have held their own citizens hostage in the name of 'protecting the people'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Solid opinion piece, but one where the majority of nations disagree with, preferring to save lives now and hopefully finding an effective vaccine sooner rather than later.

Time will tell whether Sweden's approach proves correct, but I am hoping that Australia's approach proves world-leading, yet again.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 12 May 2020 8:20:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The feeling in my water is that we have gone overboard about this virus, I think the long term damage to many may be worse than the immediate damage the virus could cause. I also don't trust Bill Gates & the vaccine mob, or the app mob.

However I believe there is a lot we aren't being told, perhaps to good purpose, & I am sure I don't know enough to be confident in second guessing the government. Thus I will go along with the policies, until or unless some new information causes me to change my mind.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 12 May 2020 9:45:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Complaints about saving lives being priority reason for the action.

Frequently such is prejudicial opinion in favor of the powerful and the wealthy, these tend to control government, and able to afford taking care of themselves.

Frequently such is prejudicial against the poor, the masses of middle-class, those frequently unable to afford support they may need.

Thus equality of opportunity to live is denied.

The lock downs are a short-term actions, the aim is to reduce numbers needing intensive care, to avoid the intensive care facilities being stampeded towards their collapse and inability to do what they are designed to do.

The wealthy may afford private hospitals, many others can not.

Among the powerful and wealthy, particularly complainants, often are indifferent to others.

They are a scourge on the Principle of Equality Of Opportunity.

Whether actions do or do not reduce overall total deaths will only be known later; Later when it is to late to reduce the deaths.

Posted by polpak, Tuesday, 12 May 2020 10:00:23 AM
RISIBLE RUBBISH, HORSE FEATHERS AND BIRD'S FUR! BAH HUMBUG!

Yes, Edmund, we know you are an incredibly important person and this thing is all about you! And how dare they!

You'll have a nice day now, Y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 12 May 2020 10:38:43 AM
Hi Polpak,

Yes ! Were are our freadoms ? Freadom to die whenever we want, without govermnent interferance ?!

What cant' we have the freadoms like in Sweeden, where people have been free to die in thousands, not in piddly numbers like here under those commos like Morrison and Andrews ?! Bastards !

Or like in the US, a shining ecxample under an ecexellent president ! Nearly a hundred thousand deaths, and maybe another forty thousand by the end of this month - nd another hundred thousand next month - they don't need some commy govermnent dictating their every move ! Let poeple breath ! Let poeple work ! et poeple move around frealy !

Freadom of movment, freadom to bear arms, freadom to drink Kool-Aid, freadom to mix toagether. Rise up australians, and take back what are our rights !

Joe

PS. Probably a little too sarcastic ?
Posted by loudmouth2, Tuesday, 12 May 2020 10:58:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would like to believe that the comment above me by Alan is trolling, however in my experience people who type like that and attempt to ridicule others without any substance or counter-argument leads me to believe that he is instead mentally challenged.

Thank you for the piece, it is a good reflection about the role that central governments play, especially in times of heightened public scrutiny. The handling of the COVID-19 may have longer-term implications as politicians have poorly juggled international economic relationships, in particular key trading partners such as China without gaining new consideration
Posted by Jason Papanko, Tuesday, 12 May 2020 11:00:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy