The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What the Church can do during a pandemic > Comments

What the Church can do during a pandemic : Comments

By David Hale, published 1/4/2020

The church can help people impacted by the pandemic, not with prayers, but jobs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The Catholic church, and the others to a lesser extent, do a great deal for society, particularly the poor. I can't see why they would they suddenly be able to, or want to, employ people that they haven't had the need to employ previously.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 1 April 2020 8:04:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David,

I endorse much of what you wrote in your article. There are many churches and denominations that are on the front-line of ministering to our community with 'secular' help. I receive domestic help from OzCare, a Roman Catholic sponsored organisation. After a recent fall, an OzCare occupational therapist came to my house to measure up for railings. For podiatry, I go to Blue Care, a Uniting Church organisation.

As I'm an elderly single person, I obtain frozen meals from Contented Chef, which supplies meals to the military. It's a PresCare organisation of the Presbyterian Church, http://contentedchef.com.au/?SID=s0codiiq3f8u1lpddscb65d6v2.

In my community there are church-based social agencies and hospitals that hire many staff such as Centacare, Anglicare, Uniting Care,St Andrew's Hospital, St Vincent's Hospital, Wesley Hospital, and I haven't mentioned the church sponsored retirement villages and aged care facilities. These are here in Brisbane.

When children are in school, my church offers brekky twice a week to children who are on their way to school but have not had breakfast.

I want to pick up on one point you made: <<The church’s most important role now may not have anything to do with theology. The jobs they provide might be the most important role, and hopefully they continue to provide them {or the wages at least} amid shutdowns.>>

The churches' social service to the community grows out of its world and life view - its theology. Jesus said: 'You are the light of the world.... You are the salt of the earth' (Matthew 5:13-14). During my lifetime, my ministry of being 'light' and 'salt' has included working the streets seeking to help those on drugs, counselling out-of-control teens, drug education, etc.
Posted by OzSpen, Wednesday, 1 April 2020 9:38:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David,

<<The church can help people impacted by the pandemic, not with prayers, but jobs.>>

The biblical emphasis is that the church can help in disasters through prayer AND the offer of jobs. I consider the church's response needs to be prayer and action in this time of COVID-19 crisis.

James 2:14-26 demonstrates the need to have a faith that acts, http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jas+2%3A14-26&version=NLT

I urge you not to downplay the importance of prayer by God's people during this time of disaster.

This is what happens when we pray: In Ephesians 3:14-19, the Apostle Paul prays, “that you may be able to comprehend ... what is the breadth and length and height and depth and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge....” (Ephesians 3:14-19).
Posted by OzSpen, Wednesday, 1 April 2020 10:03:17 AM
The church can help me and so many other souls during this period of insecurity and hardship by doing just one thing.

Firstly they need to let everyone know how Jesus turned water into wine. I’m running low on alcohol and with no end in sight for the lockdown and alcohol purchase restrictions this simple task would go along way toward helping us all.

Thanks in anticipation
Galen
Posted by Galen, Wednesday, 1 April 2020 10:13:39 AM
Yup, this is going to be the new normal? Those who can't/won't adapt/change, will be left floundering by the wayside or forced to sell their considerable real estate and commercial holdings for a song, or maybe, a hymn or two.

Not too many choices for the faithful few, and is largely limited to pivoting to multiple purpose, drive-ins or drive-throughs.

And given that is so, create many new commercial dual-purpose ventures that produce surplus incomes for their charity works! And jobs, jobs, jobs

And severely limit the opportunity for paedophilia? As homeschooling also becomes the new norm, as does, working from home wherever practical/applicable.
Alan B
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 1 April 2020 10:46:43 AM
What to do during a pandemic? Back off the Religious "Discrimination" Bill.
Posted by Steve S, Wednesday, 1 April 2020 11:42:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy