The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The coming crisis in our schools: teachers struggle with COVID-19 > Comments

The coming crisis in our schools: teachers struggle with COVID-19 : Comments

By Peter West, published 25/3/2020

Australians celebrate larrikins like Ned Kelly and Ben Hall, celebrated bushrangers who spent their lives fighting police. Australians deliberately flout authority, and parents often challenge schools and belittle teachers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Ned Kelly was not a "larrikin"; he was a vicious criminal. You have to be a low life to "celebrate" him or any bushranger; or perhaps, just one of the morons who don't get the seriousness of China virus and the need for staying apart. But the dumb millennials getting weathered on Bondi beach are unlikely to have heard of bushrangers, or anything else that has not occurred in their brief lives.

Should we close schools? That is not a matter for consensus or polls. If people are too stupid to take seriously the measures needed to keep safe, there is no point in asking them what they think about anything.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 25 March 2020 8:00:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am trying to understand the reasoning behind keeping kids at school because, despite what many people are saying, kids do get the disease, some seriously. Plus they are great spreaders of the virus so they are putting their parents and grandparents at risk. Many would have pregnant mothers at home, who are in the high risk group.
I understand that essential workers need someone to watch their kids, I also understand the government is worried that dysfunctional parents will just let their kids run wild, including in public areas.
But surely there must be a better solution than leaving schools open.
I took my two grandkids out at the beginning of the week because I am in the high risk group. I’m now homeschooling them which is a huge burden on me, at my age, but I see no alternative. I can’t let them spent their days glued to screens, and they need to keep up with learning, so that’s my life for at least the next six months.
Hope everyone is keeping positive in these uncertain times.
Posted by Big Nana, Wednesday, 25 March 2020 9:44:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The kids and their youngish parents/teachers, will probably be fine?

For years we've lived with a soldier on mentality, with colds and flu, take some cough medicine, aspirin or paracetamol, some antibiotics in case you get a secondary infection.

Then with your symptoms suppressed? Get out there and do your bit for herd immunity by spreading your virus as far and wide as possible!

And given the common cold is also of the same family as covid-19, may have helped to spread some partial immunity?

But not always! And no use to those with compromised immune response. Cancer, and a couple of hundred other conditions.

The positive news is, someone is now testing already approved medications that may prevent the virus from replicating and may include a range of proven antivirals, some arthritis medication and anti-malaria meds that seems to have assisted somewhat in SARS1.

I'd also like to see some of these medications used in combinations so doses may be lower yet just as or more efficacious? And could even be combinations of already approved, arthritis medication and leukemia chemo?

To see, at least in the petrie dish, if any of these combinations, kill the virus/prevent it replicating? And given already approved medications, allow human trials to begin immediately, so as to come up with a pill that'll at least prevent replication/suppress symptoms, while you serve in an essential service or are an at a high-risk cohort, aged care worker and the aged,e.g.

[Sadly, it required a private citizen to put up the research funds! None of which seem to have come from a, command and control, government?]

Then perhaps we can stop killing ourselves with fear and stress and just get back to the business, as usual, soldiering on and doing your bit for herd immunity?

As an alternative to ordering folk to home detention for daring to get sick or defy a P.M's advice! His language not mine.

I would've used the term, ignore, given it was just advice, not an emperor's command! But then, I'm not a political backstabbing, control freak/power junkie!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 25 March 2020 10:53:34 AM
Surely someone out there will come to speak up for Ned Kelly?
Here is a small part of the Jerilderie Letter:

And my mother and four or five men lagged innocent, and is my brothers and sisters and my mother not to be pitied also who was has no alternative only to put up with the brutal and cowardly conduct of a parcel of big ugly, fat necked, wombat headed, big bellied, magpie legged, narrow hipped splaw-footed sons of Irish bailiffs or English landlords which is better known as officers of justice or Victorian police ...

They would say he ought to be ashamed of himself and tar and feather him. But he would be a king to a policeman who for a lazy loafing cowardly billet left the ash corner, deserted the Shamrock, the emblem of true wit and beauty to serve under a flag and nation that has destroyed, massacred and murdered their forefathers by the greatest of torture as rolling them down hill in spiked barrels, pulling their toes and finger nails, and on the wheel and every torture imaginable. More was transported to Van Dieman’s Land to pine their young lives away in starvation and misery among tyrants worse than the promised hell itself. All of true blood, bone and beauty that was not murdered on their own soil or had fled to America or other countries to bloom again another day, were doomed to Port McQuarie, Toweringabbie and Norfolk Island and Emu Plain. And in those places of tyranny and condemnation, many a blooming Irishman rather than subdue to the Saxon yoke were flogged to death and bravely died in servile chains, but true to the Shamrock and a credit to Paddy’s land.
Posted by Waverley, Wednesday, 25 March 2020 11:13:19 AM
Fortunately for modern man, the modern day police force has become as ineffective as our politicians.

And as they hang out at Maccas, filling the bottomless coffee cup, guns dangling at their side, may it forever be.

And in so doing, ensuring the safety and justice of our communities remain free of interference, and flourishing in the ineffectiveness of what should be, but isn't!

God be praised, and here's to Ned.

Dan :-))
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 25 March 2020 12:15:01 PM
Congrats to Authors for highlight the success of Singapore and SCOMO's Open School policy. If Dr Norman Swan stands up on OUR ABC (that's what they tell us in Ultimo central commune HQ) on more time.... grrr. But then that's THEIR ABC agenda… attack any conservative recommendation

Tbbn, re Kelly, your spots-, a cold blooded, thief and shooter of unarmed policemen he captured.

Waverly, you like, so many romanticists and "larikin" true-blue Aussie and you lefty-loving, republican, 'wanna be Irish' lovies are delusional, sadly AND ignore the victims of such thugs.

Alan B, actually agree re the Good News which gets no airing on " ABC, panic central". Namely the off the sheklf traetments that have bene successful in trails and was used by Chai-na. Anti malarials/quinine and some anti-Aids drugs. Best of this is the Quinene and Gin/Jamieson mixes! Bet Tonic water will be hordered now by the CCC brigade who hored all the Bog-roll! Will not bother on your other stuff.
Posted by Alison Jane, Wednesday, 25 March 2020 12:31:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy