The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Barnaby Joyce is still popular > Comments

Barnaby Joyce is still popular : Comments

By Mark Buckley, published 13/3/2020

It also illustrates the point that our system elevates the leaders of political parties to positions that are sometimes beyond their capabilities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Bombastic bully boy, bluff and bluster, Barnaby, Needs to stop supporting coal if he is to win my vote ever again, or that of the local NAT.

If they were just able to use the brains they were born with and the balance of power they possess, they could force the lifting of a self-imposed prohibition on nuclear power. In the secure knowledge, the non-proliferation treaty is broken and no longer serves any purpose save hurt us and the bush economically.

The Nats need to understand they are there with just 4.5% of the primary vote and that number is not improving?

And should they try to get past that by tying their fortunes to one nation or any other hard-right party? They could see that primary vote shrink further?

On the other hand, coming out in favour of nuclear power could save their bacon and rescue our economy. Particularly in the bush!

Particularly after the disastrous bush fire season!

And something a what you see is what you get, Barnaby could champion, and timely as folk realise that nuclear power, even with Chernobyl and Fukushima being peddled as something we would ever see here is BS writ large,

Given nobody is promoting conventional nuclear power, just the walk-away safe unconventional, tried test version, i.e. MSR thorium as road-tested by no less than the father of nuclear power. Alvin Weinberg at Oak Ridge over half a century ago! And over time! As the current coal-fired systems are decommissioned!

Read me on that topic in earlier OLO threads to understand al the highly beneficial implications!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 13 March 2020 9:28:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I once thought that Joyce was an honest, knockabout sort of bloke with the country's interest at heart; now I doubt that he is even sane.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 13 March 2020 9:30:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"He continues to be reasonably popular, which is totally unbelievable, but true. He is a phenomenon."
It just reinforces scomo`s belief in miracles.......
Posted by ateday, Friday, 13 March 2020 9:32:27 AM
>I once thought that Joyce was an honest, knockabout sort of bloke with the country's interest at heart;
I still think he was during the Howard era. It's only when he was appointed to the (then shadow) cabinet that he started to put the party's interest first.

>now I doubt that he is even sane.
I hadn't doubted that, though now I'm concerned that I have no way of telling!
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 13 March 2020 9:49:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
(apologies to ttbn for my lack of attribution above)
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 13 March 2020 9:51:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Regarding Barnaby Joyce having a marriage breakup, the risk of this is much higher for politicians who have to spend a lot of time away from home while their "other half" remains there most of the time. The sort of domestic partner often best suited would be someone who can regularly accompany them and have some involvement in the job. Think it was Barnaby who commented to the effect that they should be allowed to have spouses among their publicly paid staff. Worth noting that not much was said by opposition MP's normally looking a point to attack Barnaby about his marriage breakup. Are well aware of the problem as some of their own are on the long list of politicians who have had marriage breakups for similar reasons.
Posted by mox, Friday, 13 March 2020 12:32:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy