The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > OH! What a pity > Comments

OH! What a pity : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 5/12/2019

Linguistically, I am a pedant. No, please don't scroll off right away… just read me out!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
When asked for my telephone number by bureaucrats and businesses who have no intention of ringing me, I always say 'oh' not zero, because that's what comes naturally to me, and 'o' is written the same as zero.

My beef is Australians using American spelling, particularly with the TV captions I have to rely on these days.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 5 December 2019 8:05:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Ian, long time.
I was in the Leo Computer company and the letter O was written and
printed with a bar above it.
The Angus Taylor kurfuffle is all about some people use "," as "."
in numbers eg $1,724,50 so that when printed by a computer setup for
a different system it comes out as $1.72 to confuse all especially politicians.
Mostly Europeans I believe but I got caught with that a couple years ago.
The big advantage of standards is that there are plenty from which to choose.
.- .- -...
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 5 December 2019 8:38:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Other users of radio voice communication systems are emergency services such as police,....all generally use the phrase "zero" when indicating a numerical value."

Yep, they'd never tell us to ring 'triple-oh' would they?

Perhaps 'oh' is merely a shortened form of zer-oh.

"Linguistically, I am a pedant. "

Linguistically, I not. My thinking is that language is about communication....accurate communication. So long as the speaker/writer's meaning is clear, deviations from supposed correct grammer (sic) are by-the-by.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 5 December 2019 9:10:40 AM
Let's not beat haround the ouses, hexacly right. I ad han huncle who was an hofficer hin the navy hand spoke right proper henglish.

Absolutely agree with the article and a need to teach proper pronunciation. And de-Americanise it as well as de-cockney it!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 5 December 2019 10:17:10 AM
And I guess he was always in a vunnable situation too.
Posted by ateday, Thursday, 5 December 2019 7:39:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy