The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Adelaide is dying > Comments

Adelaide is dying : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 6/11/2019

What happens if over 40 years, the best and the brightest minds leave a city; if laziness, nepotism and incompetence rules?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Sadly, I fear you may be right. In 1999, I considered taking up a senior post in SA government, but fortunately, they picked a 'local' and I came second. Still had a nice all expenses paid 5 star weekend in Adelaide with my partner and enjoyed the delights of the Food Market and Glenelg. Having watched the state loose the F1 GP (best in the world), destroy its reputation over both Murray River and water supplies, I am so glad I came second as the patsy, who was there only to show they had looked outside SA scattocray in their selection process.

The "scattocrats" as you call them are also "bluffocrats", and among other States are not taken seriously when it comes to water, energy and the environment. SA Pollies (particularly federal) are not the brightest sparks in town and at the state level, parochial is the best they can be described.

It a shame, because the people are nice and the environment stunning in places. I am sure the 'non-convict' founding fathers and mothers will be frowning in disbelief
Posted by Alison Jane, Wednesday, 6 November 2019 8:42:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not so much a case of what if! But what has!

Adelaide is a microcosm of what has been par for the course in Australia for decades as we went, by deliberate design and highly flawed Government policy in action, from the third wealthiest nation on the planet and a creditor one at that!

To somewhere south of number 30 and mired in exponentially expanding record foreign and domestic debt!

The best and brightest have left along with their better ideas and in droves. Because in a country also mired in, 18th century, coal-fired power and handed on a plate to monopolistic price gouging interests!

They are bright enough to know, that neither they nor their ideas have a viable future here!

Consequently, all that remains are those not bright enough to succeed abroad, i.e., the dullards who to an intellectually challenged individual, think that we have a coal-fired future!

And indicative of just not a depressed Adelaide, but symptomatic of the broader Australian community, who to a generic man, cannot see a future that doesn't/can't include coal.

Such is the paucity of thinking in the wider community in general and government circles in particular! And nowhere more self evident than in old, senile, former pollies and their retired (never ever wrong) cohort of admirers!

Then we wonder why we are just going further and further back, like a tired old galloper with far too much weight in their allegorical economic saddlebags to do anything more than finish at the tail of the field!! TBC
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 November 2019 9:05:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So why did King's employer, the Carnegie Mellon University, base its only campus in the Southern Hemisphere in Adelaide?

No. Adelaide is not like Sydney and Melbourne, and those of us who live here are glad of that. The politicians are morons, but that's true of anywhere in Australia
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 November 2019 9:18:57 AM
It is rare that I agree with you ttbn but this time I do.
Leave Adelaide as it is before it becomes a horrible traffic snarled concrete jungle of a place like brizbanal is, best viewed from your rear view mirror or the window of an aircraft as you leave it.
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 6 November 2019 10:18:16 AM
The real problem ttbn is that at some time the interconnector plug may be pulled leaving the whole state almost as dark as North Korea.

Even worse, the taxpayers of the rest of the country may object strongly to so much of their taxes being frittered away on the failed states of SA & Tasmania.

In such an event the pollies may dam the river of money flowing your way. You may still have a nice town, & lots of great wine to drink, but without the subsidies from the rest of the country, there would not be too much to eat.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 6 November 2019 10:52:22 AM
Deep within, the author is jealous!

As noted by the author, the people of South Australia are fighters indeed, and as they also realise good quality when they see it, they will not that easily succumb to the author's shallow and idiotic 21st century values.

The fewer the people the better, it is a blessing, so the net population of South Australia ought to decrease rather than increase, even by the current 8,000/year. This also eliminates the endless need for new buildings and roads: just use and maintain the existing structures and if some people are leaving, better still - use their buildings to replace others that are beyond repair.

The good tradesmen and women of South Australia can do their jobs well and do not need the imposition of foreign managers to try to drag them into the madness of the 21st century. If not for foreign interference and regulations imposed by Canberra, the people of South Australia could continue to produce and serve each other. They could even continue to produce good, reliable and locally-serviceable low-tech cars, unlike the Asians that flood the market with a short-lived jungle of gadget-full junk.

As for media, who needs it anyway? One ought to live their own life to the maximum, rather than wasting time and money to pay unproductive others to hear them whining and complaining.

Let those who are unable to appreciate the good old values that still shine the way for the people of South Australia, leave, just as the author did - Good riddance!

Independence for South Australia, now!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 6 November 2019 11:09:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy