The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Uber. WeWork. I'm at a loss - the real 'growth' story > Comments

Uber. WeWork. I'm at a loss - the real 'growth' story : Comments

By Vern Gowdie, published 2/9/2019

Thankfully, common sense (and I use that term lightly) prevailed. In May 2019, Uber hit the market at a more 'realistic' value of…US$76.5 billion.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Given the stories about Uber and many of its drivers, it is a wonder that it still exists.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 2 September 2019 9:14:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The real growth story is one of a tanking resource-dependent economy and one cruelled by monopolistic energy companies and price gouged energy prices. None of which is down to uber but rather government policy.

Policy in several cases of protecting cronies that simply would not look out of place in a communist country? We're deep in the worst drought in living memory and Trump continues to wage economic war on several critical fronts!

All of which hit and hurt an export dependant, trading nation. Uber is just a symptom of an economy heading backwards at a rate of knots and cannot be helped by some popinjay, smiling political assassin who has no clue how to turn things around!?

And continues with the same old, same old, tired beyond description, business as usual, reminiscent of Nero fiddling as Rome burned!

And because energy prices do not personally affect the political class, they simply cannot see a problem. After all their own energy-rich personal portfolios are doing quite well? So WTF is the problem? Envy? I rest my case.
No I don't!
TBC, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 2 September 2019 10:18:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For a new competitor like Uber to succeed in a monopoly and officially protected monopoly, to succeed? It has to be electrified and that electricity has to come from CHEAPER, SAFER, CLEANER nuclear power! Or from solar rooftops on the owners' rooftops!

Ideally, that power would come from MSR thorium and from MSR also tasked with burning up the world's stockpile of nuclear waste and perhaps its weapons-grade plutonium!? And as a service the rest of the world would pay annual billions to us, to provide!

This safe clean cheap and carbon-free electricity could be transmitted around the nation in buried underground systems with a superconductor, graphene cores! To eliminate most of the losses due to transmission and distribution losses.

And given we do that allow or design our highways and byways to carry that current to the end-users and new industry, in two for the price of one. And as the strongest most maintenance-free roads anywhere in the world. are progressively rolled out.

And designed from the ground up for completely autonomous vehicles. Be they conventional taxis or Uber. We will massively boost the local economy and Uber's prospects/profitability!

Given those roads will also allow all our electric vehicles fitted with underbody magnetic induction plates, to be recharged continuously on the go from coast to coast, north, south, east or west! And in the process, destroy the tyranny of distance that also costs and inhibits our economy!

If Uber is making a significant loss? So is the competing for clientele, taxi industry. The one with the best public service record and safety plus the lowest possible fares will be the one that prevails.

It's called capitalism and we are a capitalist, private enterprise, free-market economy, Aren't we!?

If there is a better system and proven to be so? Then it has to be cooperative capitalism! And a way forward that not only rescues a tanking economy but eliminates all harmful unionism in the process,, as part and parcel of the deal!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 2 September 2019 10:50:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy