The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Treasury migration forecasts matter, and why they’re unconscionably high > Comments

Why Treasury migration forecasts matter, and why they’re unconscionably high : Comments

By Stephen Saunders, published 29/8/2019

Once only since federation has Australia surpassed 270,000 in net migration. Before 2007, even 200,000 was unknown.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
"Australia’s economy is addicted to immigration, requiring ever-increasing infusions of new people to stave off an inevitable collapse." (Salvatore Babones, October 2018).

"High immigration is hiding the economy's long-running weakness,'' says Lefty (note well) reporter, Ross Gittins.

And all the while wages are stagnating, and everyone already living in Australia is getting poorer, while lazy, incompetent politicians keep on inviting odds and sods to come here, willy nilly.

Both political parties are in lockstep on destructive immigration; both parties refuse to put it to the people who are suffering from their madness. Stop voting Labor/LNP until they pull up the drawbridge.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 29 August 2019 9:38:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can't take climate change proposals seriously while net migration remains at these kinds of levels. Why should I bother to do anything to curtail my own carbon footprint when the government is going to swamp out any small contribution I could make with hundreds of thousands of extra people?
Posted by SilverInCanberra, Thursday, 29 August 2019 9:53:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's because our economy has nothing to support it of actual substantive sustainable substance, we only have migration and the false demand that creates to anchor the economy on.

We bring people here, let them sink or swim. and those that swim, by creating their own entrepreneurial enterprise through blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice. Become the new generation of taxpayers that support our social welfare budget and the army of public servants, around one-third of the total workforce, with their enterprise and endeavour!

Without which there'd be no social budget nor overpaid, fat-cat public servants!?

Often in the face of public service, pedantic obstructionism? Thus we have an economy captured by Chinese dependence and gradually becoming more and more Asian until surely, we will become, the poor southern state of our Chinese masters?

Why? Because our so-called leader are like rabbits caught in the headlight too timid to do anything more than lick boots!? And have made a virtue of dithering and waiting for someone else to do something.

Thus we have the highest power prices in the world and the most unaffordable housing. And because of a stubborn refusal to adopt nuclear power and the storage of nuclear waste. which is really massively unspent fuel that could power an industrial renaissance. And used wisely, drought-proof the nation. Can't is not part of the paradigm, just bloody-minded won't!

Don't just do something, stand there!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 29 August 2019 10:09:36 AM
We just don't need more people right now. We need to train up those we have and massively downsize a hugely bloated public service.

We have a trade-dependent economy that's barely ours! And solely because of determined political intransigence.

We need to become a nation that once again makes things if we are to support more people! And those people need to come from culturally compatible nations.

And can't be culturally combative, corrosive sh!te stirring clowns

. And that still leaves a world of folk who will fit in like our Italian and Greek migrants, whose kids have embraced our cultural norms and social mores as if they were always their own as have our Vietnamese migrants.

I won't say all of our Middle Eastern migrants are problematic, just those that form enclaves, standoff and refuse to assimilate or adopt our cultural norms and social mores! Create unrest and disharmony wherever they go? Enough already!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 29 August 2019 10:39:17 AM
The more important metric must be per capita GDP which I understand is flat or declining which I don't see in the article. The people that want to open the floodgates are already in leafy inner suburbs so perhaps they presume new arrivals will do the same. For example Oxfam tell us more refugees will make us all rich. That was after WW2 not now. Our leaders are living in the past.

We'll need more water, more services, more trees and more low carbon energy all of which are slower arriving than people. I speculate that if Hong Kong gets nasty we will have a flood of migration applications. Bob Hawke allowed Chinese students to stay after Tiananmen. I understand already 25% of foreign students seek permanent residence. Is that factored into any population policy?
Posted by Taswegian, Thursday, 29 August 2019 1:39:26 PM
meanwhile we murder about 100000 unborn babies a year usually at tax payer expense. Go figure! We have learn't nothing from Europe.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 29 August 2019 2:34:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy