The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Taking offence is not a matter for the law > Comments

Taking offence is not a matter for the law : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 26/8/2019

It is an offence to insult a registrar or magistrate in a bankruptcy examination, a member of the Australian Competition Tribunal and on and on.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
People wanting the law to babysit them against being 'offended' simply do no have any guts, self-esteem or the courage of their convictions. They really need to be offended.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 26 August 2019 10:44:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry mate, have to disagree! And we can always disagree agreeably!

I know it's hard for the dregs, drones and dropkicks of society to engage others in respectful conversation. but that is how civil societies cohabitate in peaceful cohabitation.

Here we see various folk, who for rank political/socioeconomic outcomes are forever insulting and sensation-seeking mongrels, shock jocks and ill-mannered oafs, completely devoid of respect for the rights of minorities or difference!?

I was raised to believe, common curtesy and civility costs nothing!
Albeit, some folk try my patience beyond endurance and I have never been able to suffer fools gladly!

People seeking the spoils of public office shoulda t least be able to mount a logical persuasive argument to support their ideas, David!

As opposed to fomenting hate and division along tribal or ethnic/difference/pseudo-religious lines etc-etc.

Hasen, for example, wants to mount a rock? Haven't seen Rocky for a while but if he reads these lines, probably more than happy to oblige? Several dozen times? And probably cure Mz Hansen's current malady? My Dad used to say, you see the strangest sights, when you haven't got a gun. Y'll have a nice day now, y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 26 August 2019 11:42:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Increasingly fragile bunch aren't we. Spoiled rotten.
We're beyond the point where rational argument can save the day. Unfortunately.
Posted by jamo, Monday, 26 August 2019 11:48:13 AM
It is legitimate for a society to determine the standards of behaviour within it, and this includes banning certain forms of offensiveness.

What is not legitimate, is when a society forces people to join and become part of it.

Had one not been required to and chose to not be involved with a given society, then one would never face its registrars, magistrates, bankruptcy examinations, tribunals, commissions, regulators or review boards, hence the question of offensive speech would never arise. That said, nor could one then benefit from that society's institutions after choosing to remain outside.

The author's frustrations have therefore been misplaced.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 26 August 2019 1:56:34 PM
Hear, hear and well said, Yuyustu.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 26 August 2019 5:16:00 PM
Alan,

you find me a civil society and I will engage in civility when interacting with them.
I agree with your Dad, but find your position rather devoid of reason.
If I offend someone, it is with reason or justification.
It is not the purview of others to criticise, adjudicate or speculate as to whether or not the act of offending was justified, especially if they were not privy to or a recipient of the original interaction responsible for the offending response in the first place.
The title states one thing, but the header comment seems to contradict it.
I agree with ANYTHING offensive not being a matter that should involve the law, but who said it was and why?
Then again I don't see the rationale behind not offending those "officials" who, it would appear, are offending you in the course of executing their duties.
If by doing so they offend or anger me, then I will respond in kind.
If they are so offended, over time, then I suggest they move on.
If this topic is in defense of PC, then I absolutely reject, without question, any attempt to justify PC.
It is a vial language and belongs in the bin like the people who promote it.
Alan, if you are a PC promoter, shame on you, you do not realise that PC is the equivalent to lying.
If one cannot express oneself in the manner befitting the situation or conversation then it is no wonder we have ended up here.
Alan, you speak as if on a pulpit.
You are neither a leader or an expert in human interactions, so your opinions are unfounded.
Civil societies co-habitate?
What arrogance, and you dare question public civility!
Making the offensive statements you made in your opening remarks, are the very thing which engenders offensive responses, and if you can't see that then you're wired differently from 'normal' people.
How stupid do you think someone is to stand there and cop the kind of offensive language you demonstrate and expect no spray in return.
His right of rebuttal demands it.
Posted by ALTRAV, Tuesday, 27 August 2019 6:42:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy