The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The religious freedom Trojan horse > Comments

The religious freedom Trojan horse : Comments

By Augusto Zimmermann, published 7/8/2019

There is a considerable risk that the Morrison government might be contemplating the enactment of discrimination laws that could ban so-called 'hate speech' on the basis of severe criticism of religion.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
You know what, to be fair, Muslim enclaves in our suburbs should be entitled, as are aboriginal reserves, to erect "private property, keep out" signs on their perimeter.

This is the end result of persecution of minorities when those minorities find the path down which to tread, in defence.

Police harassment of Muslims in the Western suburbs of Sydney is endemic.

Morrison would know this!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 8:33:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Politics and religion are two completely different animals! The fact that some societies have blended and melded them to control their populous, cannot be transferred here! Not now! Not ever!

It's already of considerable concern that a number of pseudo-Christens are already in our political chambers and rely on alleged holy scripture to try and cover an inherently flawed, power-hungry personality, without allowing even more radical ideas and inherently evil philosophies any space or power in our fledgling and threatened democracy!

If so-called Muslims are offended by the recounting of factual history and the flaws in their medieval belief system? They remain free to return from whence they came! If it's so much better!? As identified, they have left a trail of damage, death and destruction as they spread their fundamentally flawed bloodthirsty belief system in their wake! If they would rule the world? Let it be somebody else's world!

Nor do they assist reconciliation by fomenting discord over what others did two centuries or more ago! As the author, so rightly points out. their record and colonial expansion is dramatically, massively worse!

We for our part cannot give oxygen to our own crazies least their freedom to persecute those who are different is seen as carte blanche by others to do far worse!?

And all in the name of alleged religious freedom!

Christian belief or religious practise is not based on words read from the pages of ancient manuscripts, but by our actions in the treatment of others!

And that treatment cannot be judgemental, prosecutorial, discriminatory or persecution dressed up as religion! It has to be, do unto others as you would be done unto!

Also and for our political and industry leaders.

Inasmuch as you do unto the least among you, you also do unto me!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 7 August 2019 10:40:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There again the author managed to deceive and lure me by the article's topic - what a waste of time!

This stupid debate about the "freedom of speech" and what others may or may not say ABOUT religion, has very little to do with the actual freedom of religion.

Sadly again, nobody seems to really care about the freedom to practice one's religion, neither Morrison nor the Mufti nor the author.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 2:33:21 PM
Kristina Keneally who was only ever put on the opposition front bench because she is a woman was trying to get an ex muslim banned from Australia this week because he claims the Koran is evil. You would think as a feminist she would be concerned about the truth for women. She obviously isn't. The only good part of having this woman in public it that it assures the Government keeps in power. Must be a few talented men on the opposition backbench spewing over the idiotic quota system that rewards dunces.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 3:52:56 PM
Yuyutsu writes, Wednesday, 7 August 2019 2:33:21 PM: "Sadly again, nobody seems to really care about the freedom to practice one's religion, neither Morrison nor the Mufti nor the author."

And you are a full bottle on the subject, Yuyutsu? All those infected by the contagion of religious faith obviously consider the observances required by their faith to be immutable, sacrosanct and utterly obligatory.

What I would like to hear from you and your ilk, Morrison and the Mufti is a recognition, equally immutable, sacrosanct and obligatory, that not all humans are so afflicted, that a significant number of humans have an inalienable right in society to live and prosper in that enviable intellectual good health, free from said contagion.

While the non-believing in society are regrettably diverse through being of independent mind and outlook, are undisciplined by your standards, are ofttimes gruff in manner, sometimes to your personal discomfort, nevertheless we manage to find peace and happiness in fellowship, compassion and charity for the unfortunate, ecstasy in our intimate relationships and a numinous transcendence before Nature's awesome beauty............All this we find entirely without the need of worship, without the need for craven self-denigration and declarations of worthlessness, without surrender to an invisible authority who can condemn me for what I think and dream, without being afraid there may be something for which I have forgotten to atone, without the need of a scapegoat for my transgressions, without the guilt for sins I might have committed. Cont...
Posted by Pogi, Thursday, 8 August 2019 2:15:01 AM
From my previous post...
This significant sector of society expects the same outcomes for their future as you and your ilk do for yours. Freedom of religion, ISTM, carries with it the corollary of freedom from religion. This nexus depends, again ISTM, upon establishing an origin for religious movements. Religions either originated with emerging humans or were imposed by an eternal deity. Judging from the diversity of religious deities and their inherent, revealed and admitted flaws [all of which are instantly recognisable as exclusively human in character and origin], a far humbler origin has a strong appeal for the rational thinker, i.e, he who will strive to live a life free from religions.

Your lament, Yuyutsu, emerges lamely from a consideration of the bigger picture. Yours is not the only battle-line and if a battle there must be, it will not simply be against unbelievers. Every combatant will be certain of divine approval, except ? Is this a battle to find Darwin's "fittest" or fantasy's "stupidest"?
Posted by Pogi, Thursday, 8 August 2019 2:22:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy