The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Shorten's end > Comments

Shorten's end : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 24/5/2019

Twenty years ago, Trade Union legend Bill Ludwig introduced me to Bill Shorten, telling me that here was a young guy who was going places.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Forget Shorten. He admitted that he was a nobody when he wore a tshirt announcing that he was 'Cloe Shorten's husband'.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 24 May 2019 9:01:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just as well. I suspect Bill is really about Bill. Remember what he did to the mushroom pickers at Chiquita, or the cleaners at Cleanevent? Bill did well for himself as Union boss and added to his union-based power in the ALP, but not for the poor workers.

For me he has no integrity.

He vowed to open up the Party when he ran for the leadership. He never mentioned it again after he suffered a drubbing from the faction bosses at his first Victorian conference as Leader.

Take it whichever way, Bill was indentured to the faction bosses. His class war utterings during the campaign were probably all about keeping the faction and union heavy weights on side. Therein lies the elephant in the room for Labor.

For as long as the faction/union bosses remain as the unfettered owners of the Party, most Leaders will not be authentic to the voters.
Hence Labor always needed a super human to do the trick, or at least the promise of one: Gough; Hawke; and Rudd(before he cracked).

Unless Labor is institutionally reformed so that it is attractive to voters outside "its roots", it is destined to die slowly, agonisingly, aided and abetted by a thousand doses of the going fad for rejuvenation.
Posted by Chek, Friday, 24 May 2019 9:19:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So now we know the source of the stupid and iniquitous idea of ending franking credits for some people but not others. Everald, why the #$%^& didn't you suggest he cap it instead?

__________________________________________________________________________________

ttbn, I knew there were a lot of dinosaurs on this board, but I'm still surprised to find someone who thinks being a spouse or publicising that fact makes them any less important at work.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 24 May 2019 9:33:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think shorten's problem is a lack of genuine honour? And toward the end lack of perceived integrity in his political ambitions. Yes, he lost this time ( snatched defeat from the jaws of victory) and can still make a worthwhile contribution as say the labor party whip, where his ruthlessness could be used to keep and retain the unity needed to make the transition needed

One of which has to loosen the Csar like control of unions where dependence on union funding should be replaced by an Obama like crowdfunding model.

Moreover, they need to decide how they are going to unify a fractured nation and inspire that unity with positive messages and positive reform.

Central and critical has to be long overdue tax reform that allows things like fully franked dividends/negative gearing, to die a natural death at the source.

Because the very essential reform (a fixed flat rate tax of 15%) needed will make such tax avoiding schemes completely redundant and counterproductive.

Dispised cooperative capitalism will all but force unions to morph into labour-hire firms or active board members of the proposed co-ops! Which should own and operate as many enterprises as we the people can fund and facilitate?

First cab off the rank has to be competitive and competing for trade, power supply companies and without subsidies or exempting of any technology!

One of the things management teaches is, there is always, always a better way!

Central to that is deciding your best direction and what dreams you will continue to invest precious time in. Then staying the course until you make them come true and take those you need to achieve them with you (as self-interest) as you progress!

Until it is done or you've run out of time!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 24 May 2019 11:08:27 AM
The problem for Labor now is even if it tempers its policies on NG, CGT and imputation credits with the kind of approaches I've mentioned on other threads, the electorate will not believe there is no ulterior desire to go further should Labor be elected.

This will be the basis of the next scare campaign, even if the death tax demon is put to rest.
Posted by Luciferase, Friday, 24 May 2019 12:02:23 PM
Interest in politics today differs from the
past. Voters no longer seem to care about
politics as is usually defined. They're more
interested in mainstream politics when its a
story wrapped in a negative showing politicians
in a bad light doing bad things to bad ends.

There will be soul searching and questions about
polling, over preferences from Clive Palmer and
Pauline Hanson's One Nation and over the ambitious
policy agenda that Labor set.

Of course there will be questions about the
leadership of the outgoing Opposition leader.
Labor supporters did not see the result coming and
as we've seen were visibly shocked and upset.

There are lessons to be learned from the election.
The results showing the swings to back the Coalition in
Queensland , Tasmania and WA showed that ultimately
jobs and fear of change are too dominant.

Bill Shorten's career in politics, like Tony Abbott's
and Malcolm Turnbull's is over. All men gave it their
best shot. Certainly made mistakes, but who of us doesn't?
But one thing is certain - they all believed in what
they were doing and I am still convinced that they
wanted the best for this country.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 24 May 2019 12:28:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy