The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Freedom of (worthy) opinion and the OLO > Comments

Freedom of (worthy) opinion and the OLO : Comments

By John de Meyrick, published 16/4/2019

Who gave these news-gatherers the special mission of interpreting the facts relating to particular public issues, let alone being self-appointed to represent the public.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Well, the author, generally a worthy contributor himself, has come out a little on the catty side with his opinion on who else is entitled to an opinion, apart from himself.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 16 April 2019 9:51:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is a lot of truth in this article. Much of it I agree with, particularly the parts apportioned to praise for the authors of this site OLO.

If they do join the orchestra of the opinionated herein, it is not to derail open comment by manipulating thought towards any chosen direction of their own. It's a freewheeling rollicking show, and much appreciated. Truely a rare gem.

The back end of the article then attempts to describe the situation of a changing world in which we live. Never an easy task. It is somewhat biased, but so what, OLO is the engine room of "opinion".

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 16 April 2019 10:06:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given the article I did think it was a bit delicious seeing prompts to "Be the first of your friends to like this".

The media landscape has changed. So much of it has become independent and not directly beholden to advertisers. Multiple sources are now available at the click of a button and the influence of Murdoch's machinations are being ignored by the younger generation. To me this is a good thing.

The ABC instead reaches out to them in ways the old media can't and as a result I think we have an increasingly well informed group who is prepared to do things like march for action on global warming.

But leaving that aside I would like to support this sentiment from the article and "join in congratulating the Editor, Graham Young and the Editorial Board of OLO on their outstanding achievement over the past twenty years and wish them well for the Journal’s continued success."
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 16 April 2019 10:33:01 AM
Indeed ttbn

Its good the author marks OLO's 20 years, but his subsequent display of conservative intolerance somewhat soils his good intentions.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 16 April 2019 11:56:15 AM
As an subscriber for most of it's life , I congratulate OLO on 20 years of publishing. It has had an excellent and diverse range of articles and authors in this time covering an wide range of beliefs.

If OLO has a weakness , it is the quality of many of the comments that it's articles attract. More is the pity but this can be avoided but ignoring that section ,populated as it is , by the usual suspects.

Congratulations to all concerned with OLO over the last 20 years and long may it continue.
Posted by Aspley, Tuesday, 16 April 2019 1:43:02 PM
I would like to join in Congratulating Graham and
his team - on the 20th Anniversary of OLO.
I wish them continued success on a difficult job
well done. May OLO continue to remain successful.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 16 April 2019 7:09:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy