The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beware the wounded senior > Comments

Beware the wounded senior : Comments

By Graham Young, published 14/3/2019

Forty-eight per cent of the seats in parliament have a median voter age of 50 years or older. Twenty-five of those seats can be classified as marginal, with 10 held by the Liberal Party, 10 by the ALP and five by the Nationals.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
It's surprising that even 33% of voters trust Labor with money, given Labor's history. Must be those short memories again. And this time we have an opposition leader actual telling us that he will introduce economy-wrecking policies: higher taxes, increases in the minimum wage, and increases for wage earners who are not actually earning their current wages as low productivity indicates. Then there's the public purse, which will be hit with a doubling of 'refugees’, and the continuation of mass legal immigration and, of course, even higher energy costs with the ignorant, pigheaded insistence on unreliable energy from wind and sun.

And of course there is the half-witted arrogance of the Treasurer that Labor threatens us with.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 14 March 2019 9:28:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While there could be much in what you say Graham, the grandfathering of negative gearing WILL protect seniors with their retirement savings in negatively geared housing?

There has been a months-long petition to protect fully franked dividends!

And if there were enough folk negatively affected by proposed changes? You'd think it would have already been presented to parliament?

For mine, tax break entitlements of any description ought to go to folk who still pay tax!

You know those folk who are expected to pay for negative gearing etc. By making good the difference in the budget bottom line! Via instruments like bracket creep and reduced social services ETC-ETC!?

That said, most seniors are concerned about the ever-rising cost of living and energy that's too expensive to either cool the home or heat it in winter

And by a COMPLETELY VISIONLESS parliament on both sides of the isle doggedly determined to ignore the one thing that could not only fix it but put downward pressure on the cost of living, i.e., MSR thorium!

And projected power prices (1-2cents per KwH) that WILL resuscitate our ailing economy and the migrating manufacturing sector!

THORIUM IS THE MOST ENERGY-DENSE MATERIAL ON THE PLANET. aND SO ABUNDANT WE CAN NEVER EVER RUN OUT OF IT!

And as MSR thorium, the cheapest, safest cleanest, most reliable, dispatchable power on the planet. And at prices that force the economy to stand up and break the chain! Moreover, CARBON-FREE!

Completely restore our economic sovereignty by making this the cheapest place for high tech manufacturing and all the JOBS of the future to relocate to/queuing for the opportunity! Plus, DROUGHT PROOF THE NATION!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 14 March 2019 10:14:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
https://cuffelinks.com.au/stop-blaming-costello-super-changes/
Posted by individual, Thursday, 14 March 2019 3:05:58 PM
The basic old Age Pension would be enough if Govt didn't claim most it back within moments.
When I first started contributing to Super i was told that it would be a supplement to my Pension. 20 years later, Super became the stumbling block !
Morrison really stuffed up badly with the old age pension asset test. I hope he realises his stuff-up & rectifies it before too long. Assuming he wants to be PM after this election that is ! He needs to remove the 25 cents in the Dollar of a spouse's earning or at least bring it back to GST level of 10 cents for start. Just for incentive alone this would be a sensible choice. Economically it'd be Goldmine.
Despite all this he'd still be a much better PM than Shorten.
Posted by individual, Friday, 15 March 2019 7:52:32 AM
Hi Graham,

From your research, it is perfectly clear that seniors are hurting or that they fear they will be hurting in the future.

Far be it from me to question polling methods, but to my mind, the next obvious question is whether that hurt is enough to cause people to change their voting pattern ie will people who voted Labor last time change to Lib this time solely because of these economic measures. And are there enough such people to change a national result?

I don't know. But my feeling is that the issue, while covered in isolation, draws anguished responses is, in the overall scheme of things, not a top priority issue for most seniors. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 15 March 2019 8:16:47 AM
Pensioners must be too well off judging by the responses to this thread !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 17 March 2019 7:45:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy