The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What is a man? > Comments

What is a man? : Comments

By Peter West, published 6/3/2019

Most of the media coverage of the royal commission seems to be written by women, about women, and for women. It deals mainly with the concerns of women. But what about those of men?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
“In the main, people don't like old men much”.

True. As an old man myself, I have adopted the practice of avoiding women and children as much as possible. I know when I'm not wanted, as the saying goes. Given the #metoo rubbish, it's the safest thing to do.

However, it's boys and young men I feel sorry for. Our crap government is now spending millions of dollars telling, and showing graphically on television, that young boys are all potential abusers of sainted women, and they learn from their behaviour from their fathers, who are already things to be feared and hated.

It's great being turned out of the herd like an unwanted old rogue elephant. Not so good for young blokes who are treated like shite and told how 'toxic’ and dangerous they are by nasty harpies and politicians grovelling to females for a few lousy votes.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 March 2019 8:10:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Old men are the unknown soldiers- I have a lot of time for them.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 6 March 2019 10:40:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think this may be an overstatement of a very minor problem. Yes women talk a lot. I sometimes find it amusing to see my lady, sitting on the floor by a power point, so she can still talk on her charging mobile, when she has talked the battery flat already. However most real men have developed the trick of closing their ears, so all the talk doesn't interfere in real life.

I have done a lot of things some consider manly. I have flown jets off aircraft carriers, won formula 1 & 2 races at Bathurst, rallied cars through the fire trails in state forest, sailed my yacht 53,000 miles around the Pacific, & ridden show jumpers & eventers at a moderate level.

Would you believe there was always a lady who wanted to share my life with me. It was not always the same lady of course. The one who could happily sit beside me reading the instructions at 100 miles/hour in the forest was terrified at 7 knots on a yacht. The one who could sail the yacht in a howling gale, was terrified of horses. I still marvel she could watch our kids gallop across country, jumping obstacles designed to be hard to jump, without a word. Perhaps she was scared speechless.

My guess is that those bitching about men are those with nothing worth having in their lives. I can only wonder if their problem is that real men recognise their kind at 50 paces, & run a mile, so these "ladies" have never met one.

I had to laugh when my 11 year old grand son asked his mother, after a school holiday horse training camp, why the girls riding horses were so pretty. So take heart men, the pretty ones are off doing stuff, not just talking. He'll get on. His mother is gorgeous, & was a top horse lady.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 6 March 2019 12:53:06 PM
Well, what is a very minor problem for some people seems to annoy the crap out of others. Things such as: people talking loudly on their mobile on a restaurant, ignoring the need of others to talk or sit quietly and eat; ditto people talking loudly in a bus or train (is it always women?); the way people walk into you because they are talking or texting on a phone; people who must sit and text as they take up gym equipment; the way men sit with their legs apart (do we need to give some air to the boys down below?)

And the way men sometimes feel the need to explain what women are trying to say. And the way people seem to regard anyone over 40 as a has-been, a bad driver, and way past rational thought. Of course, men and women will always see these things the same way.....
Posted by Waverley, Wednesday, 6 March 2019 1:29:18 PM
There are thinkers and there are doers. Ayn Rand said that thinking is useless unless it leads to action. I probably think and read too much...
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 7 March 2019 12:31:06 AM
The author left out the realms of spirituality: who are we? why are we here? what good can we do? And where do we go hereafter?

And also the realm of mind- thinking- dreaming.

No, you can't think too much. Did someone say being Socrates dissatisfied was better than being a pig satisfied?

Well I guess we're going to hear a lot about women this week.............
Posted by Waverley, Thursday, 7 March 2019 11:05:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy