The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Newstart Allowance stalemate reflects a lack of consensus about its purpose > Comments

The Newstart Allowance stalemate reflects a lack of consensus about its purpose : Comments

By Philip Mendes, published 7/12/2018

Although we currently spend $178 billion per year (reported to rise to 191 billion by 2020-21) on social security and welfare payments and services, there is no consensus regarding the aims.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I would lift Newstart to that of the aged pension, but limit it to a maximum of six months. And require attendance at their local SES centre once a fortnight to show which ADVERTIZED ACTUAL jobs they have physically applied for!

With the ph.No. and address of the firm or individual job provider on paper to confirm attendance, attitude and appointment time. And whether they were punctual, suitably attired and reasonably qualified. Identified with a tick or cross on a standard SES issued form.

Failure to find then keep a paid position for in excess of six months should then result in the benefit being replaced by relocation to a mandatory position ( mine of pig farm or any other currently unfilled long-standing position) or armed services compulsory training.

Can't blame someone for not finding a job, when there are a dozen or more suitable/qualified applicants for every position they seek.

However, attending job interviews with tats, face furniture and an entirely disinterested attitude should see said applicant, being directed to a military institution for boot camp initiation.

Which could also include the forced removal of face furniture and tats.

Little rebels need to have their, without a cause, rebellion and aggression diverted into a more useful channel.

And 9 times out of 10, they emerging as better more law-abiding, contributing citizens for it?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 7 December 2018 11:00:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan B. On a thread about "An Australian population policy?"

You made a comment which I replied too it is related to what you say here Quote "Failure to find then keep a paid position for in excess of six months should then result in the benefit being replaced by relocation to a mandatory position --** or armed services compulsory training."

MY reply on the other thread was.
Our freedom has been taken away because of some of the imported people,
do you think even a very small percentage of the Chinese, Iranian, Pakistani, Lebanese, African, Indian, Middle eastern people we let in would take up arms too defend Australia sorry you are living in fairy land. HERE IT IS http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=20070&page=3

Why would you want to give them military training?

You also state "And 9 times out of 10, they emerging as better more law-abiding, contributing citizens for it?"

Where did you get this remarkably statistic?
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 7 December 2018 11:28:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From the article "It also inhibits job search because people may be unable to afford suitable clothes for interviews, or pay for transport either to travel to interviews or to attend skills training, or access the Internet to identify job opportunities."

I call a big BS on that.

The service providers people are sent to by centerlink, have in house computers for job seekers to use so do local libraries.

The service providers will if needed give transport costs if needed and skills training courses if they think the person is genuine in looking for work, they can also provide phones etc.

So it seems ACOSS, and allies such as the Australian Greens are wrong.

The Greens want more people to vote for them the ideal ones would be unemployed paid enough money to not have to work so they could go to protests (tree huggers) or the beach.
This support for the unemployed voter base would last till they got a majority in parliament, then the Greens would turn on them because they know it would be unsustainable in the long run.
It is easy to give money, if you are not the ones who have to balance the budget.

$75 per week extra is crazy.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 7 December 2018 11:49:51 AM
There is more than a little bleeding heart in my lady. That is probably why, at a charity employment service provider in a country town, she was given the long term unemployed case book to handle.

She had what was considered a high rate of success for that group, of getting people back to work. This was with mostly older people, who had lost confidence after long term inability to find work. the 12% she managed was considered exceptional.

She organised training courses, paid for by the charity, bought clothes, again at charity expense, & even cars for 2 young women living way out of town with no transport available.

Her level of bleeding heart suffered continually as the number of younger folk who lasted less than a couple of months in jobs she found them grew quite large.

Then there were the personal threats from some told to turn up for arranged interviews, or lose some of their dole money. Fortunately the cop shop was just 2 doors down the street.

After 3 years of this she ruefully would admit that it was not 90% of her casebook who wanted jobs as she originally thought, but less than 20%. It would surprise many if they knew how many dole bludgers there really are, & how many single mothers kids are spaced just close enough together to stay on the supporting parent benefit in country towns, & probably the city too.

ACOSs want to keep their case book full, an empty case book would mean no jobs. I doubt anything that comes from them.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 7 December 2018 1:15:18 PM
And 9 times out of 10, they emerging as better more law-abiding, contributing citizens for it?
Alan B.
That's where my perpetual bleating about a national Service comes into play. No takers though.
We urgently need to get some discipline & responsibility back into society, it's the only way to combat the me,me, the country owes me mentality. And, the # me too of course.
Posted by individual, Friday, 7 December 2018 5:51:32 PM
I served alongside of many conscrips, most were blokes I'd trust my life with once they were trained, much more self reliant for it.

Everyone above, except you and I Individual are victim blaming experts, know all the reasons things can't be done. Fail to know that these folk live on the smell of it/living below the poverty line is no picnic.

Moreover because they live from hand to mouth their benefit goes straight back into the economy.

Take the dole away or keep it at its current mediocre limit, all we achieve is an increase in the property crime rate, fraud/businesses going out of business?

Single mums, like mine, live so far below the poverty line, they find themselves forced to turn tricks in order to just put food on the table!?

We live in a democracy, are where we are today due to all the monday morning experts who always-always know all the reasons it can't be done or won't work.

Once when we were a unified country where the fair go priciple prevailed. Our parliaments were places occupied by folk of genuine goodwill/bipartisan pragmatism!

We were the third wealthiest nation on the planet, went through a period of unpresedented prosperity, dreamed big dreams and even with a popuation, an economy a fraction the size of this one, built one off the engineerinng wonders of the world, the Snowy Moutains project.

Moreover, where the demand for labour was so competitive we had to import folk from around the globe and joe average could earn a week's pay, just for introducing a new workmate to the factory floor.

Not too many factories and the jobs they used to provide are there? Clearly the fault of the bludging element!

None more so than those useless wonders, supported entirely on the public purse in the corridors of power across this nation!? Or the pensioned off hasbeens who think even in retirement, their views carry more weight than other taxpaying voters!

This statement was edited and corrected by Grammerly.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 8 December 2018 10:44:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy