The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No vision, no hope? Suicide as the despair of the disadvantaged > Comments

No vision, no hope? Suicide as the despair of the disadvantaged : Comments

By James Cumes, published 23/2/2004

James Cumes wonders whether the economic obsession has taken hope away from suicide victims

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
James Cumes, thanks for tackling issues which have confronted me as one who has been 'downsized' several times since 1994.

Your point about career opportunities once being open to many who may not have even finished year 12 in the public service confirms a point I made in a discussion in response to an article by Peter Saunders at http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=3556

... you didn't need a degree in the 1970's to get a decent white collar job with good career prospects. For example, only a few weeks ago, Kevin Andrews, the Federal Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations, when interviewed on Radio National's "The National Interest", "defended" the decline of the proportion of people with disabilities employed in the Commonwealth Public Service from 5.3% in 1996 to 3.8% today by saying similar to, "well back then we took in school leavers. Today you normally need a degree in order to get a job in the public service."

So, obviously that makes it OK, then! It is only fair that people with disabilities miss out, because today anyone without a degree is also denied a career in the Public Service!

For many, it has become a necessity, rather than a choice, to attend University, and in the process, incur massive HECS debts to be paid off over many years.

Is that progress?
Posted by daggett, Saturday, 2 July 2005 7:35:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Feminism has done a lot of damage to our societies - England, Australia, Canada, and so on. The problem is class issues, but are you really addressing the problems. It is not from lack of strength that people can't get going in thei lives. In fact, there are many weak people - in intelligence and integrity, who get into high places. But it can be because no one helps. The most important thing for women, now as ever, is to marry well, or suffer the consequences. For men, marrying well also, if they have not the right family or money of their own. I have mentioned to you an essay I wrote, about a man who couldn't move ahead in his life. The essay, Perspectives on the Montreal Massacre: Canada's Outrage Revisited, is on my website: http://MontrealMassacre.homestead.com
Posted by suemcp001, Saturday, 28 January 2006 8:17:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy