The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Victorian election: a narrow gate could yet open for Guy > Comments

Victorian election: a narrow gate could yet open for Guy : Comments

By Graham Young, published 21/11/2018

The odds are that Labor will win the Victorian election, but there is a narrow gate through which the Liberal Nationals could pass to government.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I'm with the 75% who believe Labor will win. As the survey indicates, the options are abysmal for any chance of a government that is not self serving and subservient to sectional interests.

A winnable alternative to that outlook, is not on the horizon. Nothing changes under the sun.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 21 November 2018 8:15:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Labor tipped to win? Victorians are either masochists or total loons. Mind you, we South Australians are still waiting to see what difference there is between the 16 year old Labor government and its Liberal replacement. Nothing is the expectation. They made a big song and dance about getting trams to turn right at North Terrace - something Labor couldn't do - but they threw in the towel on that last week. It seems to make bugger all difference who you vote for these days, or if you even bother to vote at all. Politics seems to be something that no longer includes the electorate.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 21 November 2018 8:57:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would tend to agree with Dan that highlighting Labor's corruption and incompetence at law and order is not going to get much traction, as it is pretty much standard for every labor government.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 21 November 2018 11:40:48 AM
Good read Graham and possibly close to the money. However, as Donal Trump proved nothing the polls may or may not indicate is necessarily the way the election will follow.

The libs need a circuit breaker to swing the undecided swing voters to their side. And that circuit breaker is likely to be power prices and a new source of power.

Someone somewhere has to come to grips with the reality of climate change which cannot be ignored And with that in mind, someone with a little testicular fortitude needs to advocate for nuclear power, not just any nuclear power but walk away safe MSR thorium. And with it clean, walk away safe carbon-free power for as little as 2 cents per KwH.

With that rolled out as a leading economy going from strength to strength its industrial arm once again resuscitated and leading the way. This is our future and as soon as the dolts in charge of the economy get it and crack with it the quicker well become the third largest economy once more.

Same old, same old, and the usual blame shifting finger pointing negative finger pointing campaign won't cut unless there is a genuine competition of ideas and some new bold initiatives and futuristic vision.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 22 November 2018 9:32:40 AM
Dear Grahamy,

You talk about the 'tribes' but from my experience that doesn't have as much weight here, certainly in this election.

There are many things I take issue with the Andrew's government over and the rampant sell off of public assets is pretty high on the list.

But so many people I have spoken to regard him as 'a bloke who is just getting on with it'. A close family friend who is in civil construction was mightily pissed off when the East West link was pulled by Labour when they came to power.

But this friend literally hasn't stopped since with construction projects including windfarms have seen him pulling 50 to 60 hour weeks for years with little slow down in sight. He sheepishly confided with me a little while ago that Andrews had his vote.

I was recently at a Landcare meeting talking to a bunch of farmers about the election and I get the sense that most of them were swinging toward Labour for very pragmatic reasons.

I would rather not see him have the balance of power in the upper house but from where I am sitting there is a lot of appetite for a change of government.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 22 November 2018 9:43:38 AM
Rather NOT a lot of appetite.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 22 November 2018 10:05:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy