The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Schooling Australia III: National purpose, efficiency and collaboration > Comments

Schooling Australia III: National purpose, efficiency and collaboration : Comments

By Fiona Mueller and Deidre Clary, published 22/11/2018

Australia’s education system is rooted in a previous industrial age. It's time for a national information audit.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Point #1: "Purpose".

While the authors stated THEIR purpose ("a prosperous, cohesive and culturally diverse Australia"), then proceed to discuss how to achieve it, in reality there exists no commonly agreed-on purpose for having schools in the first place!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 22 November 2018 4:36:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find it almost amusing to hear the very people who are part of the gang that runs the failed education system waffle on about how the system should be run. Well, don't bloody waffle on about , do it ! Isn't that what you get paid for by our tax dollars ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 23 November 2018 5:40:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A look at education nationally would be useful, and an "audit" would be a small part of that. However, my suggestion would be to focus on the education, resourcing and payment of teachers.

Change is possible. Like schooling, Australia's university system has been using an industrial model. This is changing: for ten years I have been teaching university students online, and for three years tutors teams face-to-face working on projects for industry clients. My university has demolished its central lecture theaters complex, and replacing it with flexible rooms for group work. Some schools are making similar changes. However, to effect such change, university and school teachers need to be trained, resourced and PAID appropriately.

ps: I have proposed "Micro-credentials by Mobile Phone for the Solomon Islands", but this could also be applied in Australian schools: https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2018/11/micro-credentials-by-mobile-phone-for.html
Posted by tomw, Monday, 26 November 2018 12:49:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy